Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to reinstall Windows 98/95

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Remove Windows 95/98 from a hard drive without formatting

Often it may be necessary to remove Windows 95/98 and install a fresh copy, either becasue of virus damage, operating system corruption, or just becasue you want that fresh Windows feeling. <_<

This method can be used to remove windows ready for a fresh install, while leaving all your other data on the hard drive. As you will be removing the Windows folder don't forget that you will need to re-install all your programs and also you will lose anything else that is contained in the Windows folder i.e. anything on your desktop, your Favorites, E-mails and address book etc. If your not sure then make sure anything important is backed up else where. The method is to remove the entire windows folder and its contents plus the files listed below which are in the root directory of your C Drive (assuming thats where you installed Windows).

1. To do this you will need a Windows start up or boot disk.

2. First, using Windows Explorer, copy 'Deltree.exe' and 'Attrib.exe' onto the boot disk. These files are located in your C:Windows\Command folder.

3. When finished copying, insert the boot disk and restart the computer. You're going to delete some file from the C directory, but first change their attributes so that DOS can see them.

At the 'A:\' prompt type:
attrib -h -r -s c:\*.*

(This command will clear the attributes of all the files in the root of 'C' i.e the -h -r -s will clear Hidden, Read Only and System attributes.)

4. Next, if your sure you have no files that need saving directly in the root of the C drive then its quickest and easiest to delete them all in one command:

del c:\*.*

Else, if you need to save files in your C:\ root directory, you can start deleting the system files below one at a time like this:
del autoexec.bat ( delete autoexec.bat ). Delete the following files: del Autoexec.bat (and any other autoexec files with other extensions)

del Bootlog.txt (and any other bootlog files with other extensions)

del Command.com

del Config.sys (and any other config files with other extensions)

del Detlog.txt (and any other detlog files with other extensions)

del Frunlog.txt

del Io.sys

del Msdos.sys (and any other msdos files with other extensions)

del Netlog.txt

del Scandisk.log

del Setup.log (and any setup files with other extensions)

del Suhdlog.dat (and any other suhdlog files with other extensions)

del System.1st
The del command will only delete files and not folders or anything contained in folders

5. Now to delete the entire Windows folder and its contents.

deltree c:\windows

The Deltree command will delete all files in the directory regardless of attributes. Don't think somethings not right if this function appears to take a very long time, 5 to 15 minutes is not unusual.

6. You're ready to reinstall Windows. Restart your computer, again using the bootdisk. Place the Windows Setup CD in the CD-ROM drive. At the command prompt type the letter of your CD drive (i.e. E:), next type setup. Follow the Windows setup prompts. :D Note: When supplied with your computer, some versions of Windows require that you type oemsetup.

Advertisements

terryjenner

terryjenner

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I followed your instructions and deleted windows, but when it came time to reboot, the floppy (bootdisk) would not be read, and I got the "non-system disk or disk error" message. Am I totally screwed?

terryjenner

terryjenner

• Pip
  • 5 posts
just read the other posting (above yours) regarding loading windows 98. I realized that I had been asking it to boot from hard disk...I'll try it the other way and let you know what happens.

terryjenner

terryjenner

• Pip
  • 5 posts
when I turn on the computer I get the message: "invalid system disk, remove disk and press any key" or something to this effect. If I remove and replace the floppy bootdisk, all I get is a rapidly flashing cursor in the upper right-hand corner. I looked at a couple of new hard drives to day, just in case I need to replace mine. they look like they all support newer operating systems than I have (98se). Is this machine salvagable, or am I wasting my time? thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
terry,

better you start a new thread than add to a PINNED thread.

No, a newer harddrive will work in your system, but if it is very large in capacity, the entire space may not be accessible to your older system without some extra effort...

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
its as same as quickformat .. coz u say del c\*.* and deleting all files one by one is not a good choice :tazz: ..

but thnx for the infor works

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
its as same as quickformat .. coz u say del c\*.* and deleting all files one by one is not a good choice :tazz: ..

but thnx for the infor works

xorcist211

xorcist211

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is there anyway I can reinstall my windows 98 with out a disk.

ronscores

ronscores

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
this information is gr8
but dont we need to delete
C:\program files and C:\my documents as well?
coz' surely the programs aint gonna work in a fresh install

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

this information is gr8
but dont we need to delete
C:\program files and C:\my documents as well?
coz' surely the programs aint gonna work in a fresh install

View Post

No, the purpose here is not to lose your data or programs. In fact you can copy your win98 folder with the cabinet files to your hard drive and (in most cases) run a reinstall with them and save your settings as well as your files and programs. You might need to do this if you've lost some files to virii or accidental deletions and System File Checker isn't able to recover them.

Also if you have your cabinet files you can copy them to a new disk that has been formatted with system files and run setup from the new drive and cabinet files for a fresh install.

Don't forget to make sure you have your Product Key. One day I'll show you how to make an Msbatch.inf file to keep your Product Key in your installation folder so that you can't lose it, even if you lose your disk or Getting Started with Windows book.

Advertisements

DROOP

DROOP

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HOW DO I REINSTALL WINDOWS WHEN I AM LOCKED OUT OF EVERY THING. I HAVE A FATAL ERROR IN MY EXPLORER.EXE AND IT DOESN'T LOAD ANY ICONS. IT IS JUST A BLANK BLUE SCREEN AFTER I CLOSE THIS WARNING BOX. I CAN HIT THE CTRL ALT DEL KEYS AND BRING UP TASK MANAGER AND NOTHING IS RUNNING. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANKS DROOP

DAKTARI

DAKTARI

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
seems like we are in the same boat mate i get the windows logo and thats it

GEEK MAN

GEEK MAN

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have similar problem. Just out of the blue, I started my pc and the windows logo comes on (Windows 98 se), and then the password information comes on (never knew how to get rid of this, so I always just hit the little x in the upper corner and it goes away), then after waiting for awhile, the screen goes blue, and an error message appears that says: "Explorer--This program has performed an illegal operation.) The only choice is details, close, or hit the "x"....the details says something about "caused an invalid page fault in explore.exe" with a bunch of registry info, and stack and dump stuff. After hitting the close program, or the x, the screen goes blue, the arrow of the cursor is visible and moves when moving the mouse, but it just stays blue and does nothing.

I was thinking of installing a new hard drive and configuring it for the primary boot drive, and then somehow trying to access the old drive to get my files off of it and move them to the new drive. Is that wishful thinking?? Or is there a Norton doctor disk that can easily take care of this problem? Seems as if I can get to uninstall the windows explorer program, the prob would go away. But I can't do anything because the os doesn't let me past the blue screen. Is this a glitch in the Windows Explorer program? If so, shouldn't Microsoft be responsible to us for fixing this problem?

What to do next??? HELLLLLLLLLLP

mcrobb

mcrobb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Same problem here. Started with I had to re-enter the prod registration key (which I didn't have, but microsoft gave me one) Did that and tries to get to my desktop and comes up with the error
"explorer caused an invalid page fault in module explorer.exe". You do control/alt/del and there are no programs running. Close the screen with the error and you can't go any further. Need help please

mcrobb

mcrobb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
got a little further. Used boot log disk and win98se disk, got up to windows trying to install. New error:
Generic Installer error
Message SU99407
Add reg+ processing error (0x197)
Then you press ok and go no-where, New suggestions please