Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Destkop/Start Menu wont load

• Please log in to reply

april331

april331

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I need help. I'm not real good with computers, so I have clue what's wrong with mine. I have windows 98. I added new virus software and scanned my computer. It worked twice after that, and now all I can do is log into my name. I can log in, but nothing happens. The wallpaper loads, but my desktop icons and start menu are nowhere in sight. I cant do anything except hit ctrl+alt+delete to shut down. I started up in safe mode but still am not able to access any of my computer programs. I am the only account on the computer, so I cant log on as someone else. I left it on for 2 hours yesterday to see if my desktop would load, but it didnt. The desktop never loaded. My screensaver never came on. I need help. I'm having to use my moms computer right now. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if this helps:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;192393

When you start the PC, keep tapping the F8 key until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, when it has run and says repaired, press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

Once you get the start button, go to all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools, system file checker, run this and then replace any files it asks for from the 98 CD

april331

april331

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I ran the scanreg.exe /fix and it came up and said repaired, so I rebootted but still no desktop icons or start menu. Any ideas on what to do now?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do a run > explorer.exe and see what happens

edit: sorry...forgot you didn't have a start menu....try the windows key (if you have one) and r...this should open up run

Edited by dsenette, 26 July 2005 - 10:37 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get to the command prompt and type sfc.xe then press enter, scan for altered files then replace any from the 98 CD

You can also type scandisk.exe at a command prompt to check the disk

april331

april331

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I cant do a run because window r won't bring up the run box. I went to the command promt and typed sfc.xe and it said "invalid" command or something like that.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please accept my apology for a typo it is sfc.exe

april331

april331

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok. So I brought up the command prompt and typed in sfc.exe, but it still says "bad command". I'm sorry my computer is being so difficult, but does anyone have any more suggestions.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you try explorer.exe

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts