Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

motherboard and processor

• Please log in to reply

battlefield nut

battlefield nut

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
im going to be upgradeing my computer at the end of the year i need help finding a motherboard and processor. i dont know what motherboard i now but
my video card is geforce 6600 agp and a athlon xp 2400.
i want to stay with amd. if any one knows parts plz tell me.
:tazz:

Advertisements

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
buy a new cpu and mobo

that cpu is old school

go to tigerdirect.com and find an AMD cpu mobo bundle

great prices

battlefield nut

battlefield nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
its not that bad it plays battlefield 2

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats more down to your gfx card than the cpu, but a new cpu would be advisable, however as you are probably socket A you will have a bother findinga good mobo for your old one, its not much for a better cpu you could probably even get a 3000+ 64 cpu and then you would be able to enjoy bf2 the way it was meant to be played or at least as well as the 6600 will allow. Although the current cpu isnt bad you could sell it for4 a fair price as socket A cpus are rapidly becoming a commodity as amd arent making new ones and people still want to upgrade.

battlefield nut

battlefield nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok i found a processor its a amd athlon 6400 it gos on a socket 754 if any one knows a motherboard that will go with that plz tell me thx :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Worng socket and a imaginery cpu im afraid. AMD 939 64 bit cpu venice or san diego core. And nforce 3 mobo is the best bet unfortunatley as you are stuck with the agp card.

battlefield nut

battlefield nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
no im geting a new computer custom built and a website say they sell amd athlon 64 in socket 754 ;) :) :tazz:

Edited by battlefield nut, 27 July 2005 - 04:15 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Getting it sustom built is as bad as buying it from somewhere like dell, there are a handful of decent builders out there and alot of rip off merchants.
In the UK: Mesh, carrera, Evesham , Alienware amd scan are the only places to go to get a pc built and even then they arent cheap. Building it yourself is the cheapest option and will ensure you get the best parts. It is really easy to build a pc a bit nerve wracking but still easy.

battlefield nut

battlefield nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i would build it my self but i dont know how and if a did try to lean i could break parts and that would suck :tazz:

battlefield nut

battlefield nut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i need somthing like a video that shows you how to build cuz i would never know were to start

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Check out the pinned topice above they have links to things like that.