Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Admin. login winxp

• Please log in to reply

Irishluck

Irishluck

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Am having problems logging into win xp on the admin account as have forgotten password, have no other accounts on xp.

Have tried going into safe mode but all it gives me is a black screen with safe mode showing in four corners and Microsoft ® windows XP ® (Build 2600.xpsp1.020828-1920:Service Pack 1) in top center of screen.

Also the log on to windows screen with username showing.

Have tried all modes of safe mode and get same thing each time.

Anyone know of a work around?

Would really hate to have to make a new install for many reasons beside the obvious ones.

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Irishluck

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From Microsoft:

If you have not created a password reset disk, and you have also forgotten the password for all user accounts, you cannot log on to your existing Windows installation for security reasons.

Irishluck

Irishluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Am having problems logging into win xp on the admin account as have forgotten password, have no other accounts on xp.

Have tried going into safe mode but all it gives me is a black screen with safe mode showing in four corners and Microsoft ® windows XP ® (Build 2600.xpsp1.020828-1920:Service Pack 1) in top center of screen.

Also the log on to windows screen with username showing.

Have tried all modes of safe mode and get same thing each time.

Anyone know of a work around?

Would really hate to have to make a new install for many reasons beside the obvious ones.

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Irishluck

View Post

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you did not set a password for administrator, leave the box blank and press enter

Irishluck

Irishluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just can't believe there is not a work around, in XP Home, without a password recovery disk when an admin password is forgotten.

M.S. has had so many security problems with OS and IE over the years that it seems impossible, to me, that they have solved them to the point that there are no work arounds for this type of problem.

Is it possible that the work around is out there and they know of it but just don't want the general public to know about it because of all the bad press they have already received?

Am sure the solution is out there somewhere and will continue to seach, as well as monitor this site, for a while before going the route of reinstall as I have info and programs that I don't want to lose.

I appreciate the comment already received on this matter and will look forward to any other replies.

If anyone wishes to make reply in non-public forum please email me [email protected], I would really appreciate all response to this problem.

Thanks

Irishluck

Irishluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There is an admin password.

I did think, and try, about leaving it blank, but naturally it didn't work.

Have also tried all passwords that I have used in the past, that I can remember and none work.

Despite having worked with computers for several years, now, I still feel like a novice when working with what I consider heavy tech. problems.

Thanks for the reply.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
go to www.dsenette.geekstogo.com/tools/UBCD4Windows24.iso and download that....burn it as a bootable iso image on cd and then get back to me (if that link doesn't work just take off the file name and it will get you to the root)

Edited by dsenette, 26 July 2005 - 10:47 AM.

Irishluck

Irishluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Will try that asap and let you know what happens.

It may take a while to get back to you though as am long haul truck driver and getting ready to p/u load to Portland, Or., may not be back until 7-31.

Will definitely get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks
Irishluck