Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading the Bios on Dell SmartStep 100D

• Please log in to reply

jcostosa

jcostosa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I went to Dell's Website for A bios update on a Dell SmartStep100D. They do not offer any updates for this PC. I just purchased memory for this computer and it reads 1 X 256mb pc133 cl2 chip as if it were 1 X 128mb chip. I contacted crucial and they said "The memory is too dense, to be read properly by the current bios". I went to Dell for support, and for this SmartStep100D You have to call a special Tech Support Number that prompts you with an answering machine stating that if you do not leave your credit card information they will not call you back.... NO JOKE! And you will be charged $25 Dollars. I am not sure if the Dell SmartStep 150D Has the same Chipset/Bios as the 100D. If so I can download that from the website and upgrade the bios. If not, I could render the computer useless, becuase dell does not offer any backup utility for the Flash Bios. If anyone has any helpful info reguarding this information I would appreciatte.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to GTG jcostosa. Do not install a version of BIOS that's not designed exactly for your system. It will like cause it to fail, and may require a new motherboard to correct.

I'd recommend returning your memory for some PC100. If Crucial doesn't offer it, try someplace else. PC133 and PC100 memory are compatible on many systems, but recent changes in mfg tecniques have casued some systems not to recognize it correctly.

Pricewatch.com 256MB PC100: http://www.pricewatc...i=33&a=1344&f=1