Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disjoining domain from command line

• Please log in to reply

Jamluv

Jamluv

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i want to disjoin from one domain and join another from command line. i can use netdom to join but only when i disjoin from the old domain. but i also want to disjoin from command line. how can i do this.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I dont have Win2k. But i do remember there was a command-line utility called DNSCMD.EXE, which had a wide range of DNS management functions.

Jamluv

Jamluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
DNSCMD is used to work with dns. but i need someting to disjoin from a domain and join another domain, from cmd so that i can put it in a batch file. i have to disjoin about 50 machines from an old domain to a new domain. (i will need a salary raise if i am to do that manually!!!)

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If U join a computer to a new domain, it is automatically disjoined from the previous domain

Jamluv

Jamluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
that doesnt happen in this case. netdom.exe is giving me an error saying the computer is already joined to a domain.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
U could find out where in the registry the domain name is loacted, export that key, change it to new domain name; and then import the key on all machines.