Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows files protection

• Please log in to reply

kcmolawman

kcmolawman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a problem with win xp pro. I have a video card with tv output that I was using to watch movies from my computer on my tv. Everything was working fine until about a week ago. Now, when I try to watch movies on my tv using my computer and tv output card all I see is a black screen where the movie should be playing. The desktop and all my other programs are still viewable on my tv, just not any movies. I tried to install a codec pack, but when I try to install it I get a windows file protection error. It tells me to insert my windows cd and when I do, it REFUSES to copy the files it needs. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Can you view the movies on your computer screen?

kcmolawman

kcmolawman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Can you view the movies on your computer screen?

View Post

Yeah, I can see them just fine on the computer screen, but not on the tv...there is just a black box on the tv where the movie would normally play. This really has me confused. I bought the computer used with xp pro on it, and am wondering if it is a bad copy of windows or something. I am totally lost at this point.
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
That is very strange. Have you tried updating your video driver?

kcmolawman

kcmolawman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

That is very strange. Have you tried updating your video driver?

View Post

Yes, I have the current NVIDIA GFORCE4 TV OUT video driver installed...my main concern is why it can't get passed the windows protected files and why it won't let me update them.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts

I tried to install a codec pack, but when I try to install it I get a windows file protection error. It tells me to insert my windows cd and when I do, it REFUSES to copy the files it needs.

This is pretty common when you've installed a service pack. The files needed are no longer the correct version on the CD.

See this article on creating an XP setup CD with SP2 included, or "slipstreamed".
http://www.winsupers..._slipstream.asp

kcmolawman

kcmolawman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

This is pretty common when you've installed a service pack. The files needed are no longer the correct version on the CD.

See this article on creating an XP setup CD with SP2 included, or "slipstreamed".
http://www.winsupers..._slipstream.asp

View Post

Thank you. I think this will help to solve my problem...it looks to be just what I need to fix the windows file protection error anyway. Thank you very much for all the help and info. It was greatly appreciated.

<_<

kcmolawman

kcmolawman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thank you.  I think this will help to solve my problem...it looks to be just what I need to fix the windows file protection error anyway.  Thank you very much for all the help and info.  It was greatly appreciated.

<_<

View Post

Well, I went to that link you posted about slipstreaming and followed the directions, but was unable to get the sp2 service pack to slipstream into the directory I made for my xp from my cd....it kept showing me a help dialogue box...I will continue trying, and any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks again

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
See if you find this tutorial easier:
http://www.informati...icleID=47212312

kcmolawman

kcmolawman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I finally found a site that helped me with the error I was getting. That much is fixed. Now I am able to view a few movies on my tv screen and moniter at the same time, while other movies are still a black screen on my tv and work fine on the moniter....who knows? Bill Gates has to make things complicated...lol.
Thanks for the help

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
So how did you fix it? Your resolution may help others having the same problem.

kcmolawman

kcmolawman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
All I did was follow the directions in the tutorial in the link you posted, and used that cd to TOTALLY UPDATE, not a fresh install, but updated win xp pro over the top of the existing win xp pro...same directory and all. After that was done I installed ACE MEGA CODEC pack. In the codec pack it gives you an option to do a custom install which is what I did. I did NOT install the elecard codec as I was told that could be part of the problem with movies not showing up on the tv screen. Once the codec pack was installed I opened up the program I use to view movies on my tv screen and it worked with some movies, but not others. It looks like I am at least one step closer to finding a solution.
Once again, thank you for all your help.
<_<