Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battlefield II Crashing

• Please log in to reply

fabguy12345

fabguy12345

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My son has Battlefield II which he can't get to run on his computer. His computer has an ATI Radeon 9200 Series video card. The game crashes to a balck screen when he tries to run it. There is a known incompatability between the game and this video card. Is it possible to upgrade and download a different ATI video driver that is compatible with Battlefield II? Or does he have to purchase another video driver and install it in order to play the game? Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

-:Dj-Kevin:-

-:Dj-Kevin:-

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Keep the following instructions close at hand.. You are going to need them :

Whats wrong is that your computer has an outdated Direct X Driver so what you need to do is googke DirectX And download the latest version and install it. That should fix the black screen problem.
Kev

fabguy12345

fabguy12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I will have him try this solution. After he downloads the latest version of DirectX and reboots, are you saying that Battlefield II will run normally? Again, I know that EA Games has noted that there is an incompatability issue with the ATI Radeon 9200 PCI video card and the Battlefield II game. I checked out their website to find that out. I will let you know what happens.

fabguy12345

fabguy12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Kev, can you recommend what version of Direct X to download? I went to Microsoft's website and noticed several different versions of Direct X to download. Do you know which one is the most up-to-date and would be applicable for a home computer? Thanks for your help!

John

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
DX 9C.

If you get it to run, the performance is going to be very poor.

fabguy12345

fabguy12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Kev, so if the perfrmance will be poor, do you recommend downloading a different driver, which will be able to handle running Battlefield II?

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
You May need to install a driver go to www.ati.com :tazz:

fabguy12345

fabguy12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am not that computer savvy. How do I know which driver for my son to download to replace the Radeon 9200 PCI one? I know there are many choices to select from on ATI's website. Any help would be appreciated. :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
http://www2.ati.com/...p_wdm_24085.exe

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Wait Its the PCI version, perhaps you don't meet the requirements, I know that the pci 9200 is a slower than the agp because PCI has less bandwidth.

Advertisements

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Sadly, your son's graphics card is not supported by bf2, and in order to play it without problems, you will have to get a better card. Here is a list of graphics cards that ARE supported. Straight from EA's website. :tazz:

NVIDIA GeForceFX 5700/5900/5950 series
GeForce 6800/6800 GT/6800 Ultra
GeForce 5800 series (AGP)
GeForce PCX 5900 (PCIe)
GeForce 6600 (PCIe)
ATI Radeon X300 series
ATI Radeon 8500/9500/9700/9600/9800 series
ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350LX)
ATI Radeon X800 PRO/X800 XT Platinum Edition
ATI Radeon X600/X700 (PCIe).

EDIT: just found this list for ATI cards. This list is made specifically for BF2.
ATI

8500 low settings
9000 low settings
9200 se low settings
9500 se low settings
9600 se low settings
9500 low settings
9600 low settings
9500 & 9600 pro mid settings
9800 se mid settings
9800 mid settings
9800 pro mid-high settings
x700 pro mid-high settings
9800 pro 256mb med-high settings
x800 pro high settings
x800 pro xt and above insane settings

So, it looks like your son's card is supported. uhm.. just listen to all the other guys about drivers. That's most likely the problem ;)

Edited by killingalchemy, 01 August 2005 - 07:25 AM.

fabguy12345

fabguy12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
If my son wants to upgrade to a different ATI Radeon driver or one from GeForce or NIVDIA, would these be available online to download for free or do they have to be purchased new? Thanks!

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

If my son wants to upgrade to a different ATI Radeon driver or one from GeForce or NIVDIA, would these be available online to download for free or do they have to be purchased new? Thanks!

View Post

You mentioned you're not computer savvy. well.. lemme break it down.
Nvidia and ATI are two different companies... like Ford and Toyota. haha.
what drivers are is pretty much just an update of the card's software. So you can't download a driver to make your out-of-date videocard compatible with a new game.
are you understanding a little better now? if you have any questions.. I or one of the other guys here can answer them for you, I'm sure.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you cant really download new hardware although you can but a new cardfrom the internet and they will post it to you. Whats his pc specs if he wants a new card you will need to check if he has an agp slot.

fabguy12345

fabguy12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Sadly, your son's graphics card is not supported by bf2, and in order to play it without problems, you will have to get a better card. Here is a list of graphics cards that ARE supported. Straight from EA's website. :tazz:
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5700/5900/5950 series
GeForce 6800/6800 GT/6800 Ultra
GeForce 5800 series (AGP)
GeForce PCX 5900 (PCIe)
GeForce 6600 (PCIe)
ATI Radeon X300 series
ATI Radeon 8500/9500/9700/9600/9800 series
ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350LX)
ATI Radeon X800 PRO/X800 XT Platinum Edition
ATI Radeon X600/X700 (PCIe).
EDIT: just found this list for ATI cards. This list is made specifically for BF2.
ATI

8500 low settings
9000 low settings
9200 se low settings
9500 se low settings
9600 se low settings
9500 low settings
9600 low settings
9500 & 9600 pro mid settings
9800 se mid settings
9800 mid settings
9800 pro mid-high settings
x700 pro mid-high settings
9800 pro 256mb med-high settings
x800 pro high settings
x800 pro xt and above insane settings

So, it looks like your son's card is supported. uhm.. just listen to all the other guys about drivers. That's most likely the problem ;)

View Post

If this list is accurate and BF2 will play with the 9200 PCI card at low settings, then how do I know that the card is at the right settings? (ie LOW VS HIGH). I appreciate all the help so far. It appears a new graphic card is THE answer. Correct? Or is another driver/card the answer? Sorry, but like I said, I am not that computer savvy regarding hardware issues.