Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewire File Transfer WinXP NT to FAT32

• Please log in to reply

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Here's the specs: 120gb external Maxtor 7200rpm in an U-Plus IEEE1394 enclosure. Formatted for FAT32, stores about 80gb of music files. Connects to main computer via mother-boarded IEEE1394 port. Main computer runs WinXP-ProSR1a, NT format.

Main and external communicate wonderfully, all systems and transfers work perfectly.

Now I connect that external to a laptop via a PCMCIA IEEE1394 card (slot 1). It's running WinXP-Pro2.0. When the drive is attached to the laptop, it is recognized and accessible. The minute I try to copy or paste anything in either direction, I get an error message claiming corrupted files. Not true. Then, WinXP-Pro laptop says it's going to fix it. It wipes out the drive!! This does not happen with any other laptop (all Win98SE) I have.

I'm baffled (and very tired of reformatting this drive on a Win98SE machine (XP says the drive is too big for FAT32 using the Command prompt format procedure so that avenue is closed) and transferring 80gb of files again and again (and now again). I'm open to any suggestions and tinkering.

Advertisements