Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox/Windows Media Player issue

• Please log in to reply

pmaviolin

pmaviolin

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I recently came to you guys to help me fix the Aurora bug on my mother's computer, so I figured I'd come here for a little more help with mine...

Whenever I try to watch embedded WMP videos (like on PutFile or whatever), it rarely actually plays and, in most cases, it locks up my browser. I use FireFox, but have noticed it on Internet Explorer, as well. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I've tried updating my player and browser.

Also, I recently had to put my computer in for service, and since it came back, performance has been extremely slow. I looked through the tweaks sticky, but that didn't seem to help.

Anything you can do would be appreciated. Just let me know what info I need to give you. Thanks!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Post a link to a web page you're having problems with. Sometimes it's just a configuration problem and not really a FF problem.

makai

pmaviolin

pmaviolin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
http://www.putfile.c...hp?n=humpiddity

The video never plays and when I close the browser window, it brings up the "Program not responding" window.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The video (two guys in a hot tub!) plays fine on my computer running FF 1.04. (I haven't had time to upgrade to 1.06 yet).

You might need to restore XP as it sounds as though you have more than just WMP problems.

makai

pmaviolin

pmaviolin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yikes...is THAT what it was? I'm kinda glad I can't see it :tazz:

How do I restore XP?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Read this...
http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

makai

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

How do I restore XP?

View Post

Since you are running XP you may have some other security issues with IE playing videos. For Firefox, you may have a problem with an incorrect plugin or Windows Media Player not installed or installed incorrectly. Please visit this site for a lot of information concerning getting FF to work with Windows Media Player :

Complete Embedded & Streaming Quicktime/Real/Windows Media Player Guide for Windows Users.

There also plugins to be used with FF, as well as, you can install an ActiveX plugin for the browser. Just remember the security problems IE is having because of ActiveX. The ActiveX plugin for FF does not allow full control if installed per instructions. It will only control WMP, unlike IE which allows it to do pretty much anything "it" wants.

You also might want to check your plugins in FF. Type about:plugins in the address window of FF and check and see if WMP is listed and enabled. You might also want to add the URLs of sites you want images/videos to display to FF's Tools>Options>Web Features. Click on Add images Exception button and add URL and click either Allow or Block. Whichever you want for that URL.

There are other options too you might want to use. Enable Javascript Advanced button will allow you to turn on/off certain javascription functions.

Ron

Ron