Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply

reidel8

reidel8

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

2 days ago my virusscan told me that I was infected with W32/Alemod.c.dll virus and that the WININET.dll file was infected and that it couldn't be cleaned. So i did some research on the web and there was an article on it with suggestions. Anyways I followed the instructions and rebooted in safe mode so that I would be allowed to replace the WININET.dll file in system32 with a new, clean file. So i did this but i guess i didn't replace it with the right file, although it was called WININET.dll too. I didn't actually replace it, I just renamed the infected one WININETold.dll and copied the new WININET.dll file into that directory.
Anyways, after doing this, i restarted my computer and then was stuck in an infinite reboot cycle, the computer would start, show the loading windows screen, and then reboot before actually entering windows.

Is there any way to create a boot disk or anything that could help me? Basically all i need to do is rename the old WININET file back to WININET.dll and delete the new one that i copied there. I am very familiar with dos and programming and such but I know very little with XP and os problems such as this.

Please help!

Thanks!

Advertisements

reidel8

reidel8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just saw the FAQs and perhaps the solution to this problem. But if you have any advice please post it here. I will have to try the method suggested in the FAQ tonight. I pray that it will work!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just wondering if you can get back into safe mode?

reidel8

reidel8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I couldn't even boot into safe mode, but its working now.

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

That did the trick. I could never get the recovery console to work because it would reject my password for reasons I found on the microsoft site, but following those steps worked like a charm. I was afraid that would clear the disk of everything but I still have everything. :tazz: