Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Svcpk2 Hell

• Please log in to reply

Juniper2

Juniper2

• Pip
  • 9 posts
In an effort to reformat and reinstall Windows XP to get out of a persistent hijacker problem (see my post under Spyware), I bought a brand-new Windows XP disc to install (I'm tired of having buggy, unstable, recopied free versions of Windows XP that geeks put in my new computers made up out of discount parts). The newest versions of Windows XP have SVPK2 included right in the CD -- there are no old versions for sale! I figured I'd just opt out of it, but there was no menu to do so! I installed it anyway, and went all over Microsoft website trying to get it u ninstalled. I tried the 3 suggested methods -- none of them work. I can't even find the SP2 because obviously on a new install where it's included on the CD, it isn't in the "updates" in "add/remove programs". I tried to get it out with the application wizard in "run" -- no dice. Finally got a hold of their customer service -- they say SP2 is "slipstreamed" on to the new CD and *there is no way to remove it*. Horrors! Any ideas?

Well my next step is to go through all those "exceptions" but I can't even find Verizon and the other programs under "programs" to except them.

This is awful. <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Why don't you want SP2?

Juniper2

Juniper2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't want SP2 because I'm not a child. I don't need to have that much intrusiveness by an OS, taking me by the hand and reprimanding me every 2 minutes that my computer is in danger with its annoying alarm messages, and forcing me to waste time typing in exceptions and hunt for portals just to play online games, or instant-message, or use other services that have those kind of clients hooking up to the Internet.

Example, now that I'm stuck with SV2, which functions a lot like Norton's old de-wormer before I junked it: I read a lot of foreign newspapers online, and visit a lot of blogs, comment pages, etc. Quite a few of these have trojans that track readers, for sinister government or commercial reasons. So? I realize I'm not in hiding when I go on the Internet and take reasonable precautions. So why do I have to be dinged by some trojan alarm every 2 seconds while I'm struggling to read online?

I'm not afraid of the Internet. It has viruses, OK, you take reasonable precautions. I've had my business paralyzed 1-2 days sometimes by these things, but I won't give in to the pressure to a) get a Mac b) suffer constant intrusive trojan warnings and scarifying messages about lack of firewall protection. The software makers have cried wolf too many times on this one -- I don't buy it. I used to be a sucker for those things and even click on them and see where the "threat" was coming from on the world map, and marvel at companies in Korea or New Jersey tracking my every eye movement. But...so what? So they're communications companies whose servers are pinging my server. Do I need to put on like 10 galoshes to protect myself?

Garden-variety Norton, in conjunction with Spybot and Ad-Aware seem plenty to me for protection, without having to suit up in the intrusive SVP2. The word on the street everywhere is -- get rid of it. Imagine my surprise when even the customer help man at Verizon DSL told me tersely when my connection wasn't working -- "uninstall SP2 -- THAT is your problem". I had to beg and plead for another customer service agent to try to help me identify how to make Verizon an exception and find the right portals for it -- and she wouldn't! She did walk me through menus that finally gave me a connection with a giant yellow "WARNING" sign and the horrible warning that I have only "limited and restricted" connection now. Thanks!

I'm discovering that a) SP2 is a nuisance but b) it is not as much of a nuisance as everybody said. Still, I have to wonder, when I see that Microsoft has laid on numerous extra customer help services, special pages, advice sheets, blah blah what on earth they were thinking of. They are trying to close the barn door after the horse already fled, and make up for all those flaws in the software that have been exploited by hackers. But is it really worth it? It's like the war on terrorism -- does it go so far at times such as to violate human rights and yet not even get the anticipated good result?

I'll never forget the first time I accidently accepted SP2 in the regular updates, not knowing better because it was set to automatic. Never again. It paralyzed my e-mail, it did not unparalyze it even when I clicked off the firewall option, and it wouldn't work with anything I needed until finally I rolled back to a previous date on sys restore and junked it -- but it took me awhile to figure out that a seemingly benign update from Microsoft was the thing causing this havoc, and not the latest hijacker. No thanks. Viruses I can understand losing a half day's work over. I am not willing to lose a half or more day of work from the supposed virus protector, especially when it is so intrusive that it now bundles itself into the software so that you don't even have the option to get rid of it if you like.

Why don't you want SP2?

View Post

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Ever since I've had SP2 installed I've had fewer problems than I've ever had. You can block all those reminders that bother you. But differences of opinions make the world go round and I accept yours. <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
SP2 is almost a complete rewrite of the XP's core code. Because it's such a major rework, there are problems with some systems. Also, some software vendors had to change their software code to work correctly with SP2. Most of those changes are available now as updates from those vendors. Here a list.

SP2 is a huge security improvement over previous versions of Windows, and we highly recommend everyone update. Look at Microsoft's Security Updates for October. SP1 systems are vulnerable to many, SP2 is protected from them all.

It also provides much improved protection from ActiveX controls being installed without knowledge (so called drive-by hijacks), and makes users more aware when they are downloading and installing software on their systems. The Firewall is better, and far less intrusive than most third party options.

Juniper2

Juniper2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, I'm keeping an open mind on this and I'm going to look at my direct experience. So far, you're suggesting that all those annoying annoyances can be shut off somewhere so it isn't in my face constantly. I don't know where to turn off those things, so if you have a quick tip on that, by all means give it.

I'll see how it goes over the next week. Meanwhile, because I complained about this, Microsoft is sending me a free version of XP with SP1. So if SP2 is the marvel you say it is, I'm sure it will sell quickly on ebay <_<