Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Administrator Password and Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

marelsoft

marelsoft

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
:tazz: My PC with Windows XP home crushed with blue screen and error message
" Stop:c0000218 ( registry File Failure). The Registry cannot load the hive.
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.". I found info on that problem in microsoft and Dell Webs.
Most articles advice to use Recovery Console option after rebooting or starting from CD with XP OS. Unfortunatelly, Recovery Console prompts me to enter Administrator Password. Documentation says, that if Administratot code not defined enter <Enter> instead. I am always getting Invalid Passwor message and cannot proceed. I am the only user of my PC and from the beginning I have never defined any password on my PC. So I have two questions.
1. How should I deal with Administrator Password issue. I cannot even find info on how to establish it or clear it.
2. Is it the best way to use Recovery Console in my problem. I do not want to loose my data. Do I have any alternatives.
My XP has NTFS file system.

Thank you

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you had to have set this password at some point (have you ever formatted and reinstalled the O/S?) i wasn't clear if you tried leaving it blank, try a blank password first then try all your standard passwords. where did you buy the pc from?

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thank you Dsenette.
I have never set this password. I do not even know how. and I did not formatted and reinstall the OS. I loaded only SP2 as an upgrade. I bought this PC from Dell.
What do you mean leaving it blank, you mean to stroke <Enter> key, that what I was doing. As an experiment I set so called set up password defined in BIOS section during booting, but it is not the same. I got also Invalid Password from Recovery Console. Why this is so messy?????.

Marelsoft

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Day after I posted my problem with Stop:c0000218 Registry Failure strange things afected my PC. When I run set up I am able to access Recovery Console. System stoped asking me about Administrator Password. When i run Recovery Console chkdsk /r after chacking 50% of the volume it says "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems".

After rebooting 1st message on the screen says " Warning:DELL's Disk monitoring system has detected that drive 0 on the primaryEIDE controller is operating outside of normal specification. It is advisible to immedialely back up your data and replace your hard drive........ Strike F1 to continue". After striking F1 blue screen and message "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your PC.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
stop:0x00000ED "

In light of the above
1. How can I back up my system before installing new HD.
2. Should I reformat my drive or buy a new one.

I tried to run set uo from CD drive. Unlike DAVE says in his article about recovering in XP I did not get any choice to repair disk, instead blue screen of the setup gave me choices.
" -: Partition1 [FAT] 31MB
c: Partition2 (Unknown)76254MB
unpartition space 8 MB
When I have chosen c: (1st choice is too small for Windows)
message was " The partition is either too full, dameged, or not formatted, or formatted with incompatible file system. To continue installation Windows setup must format this partition. Use up and down to choose
format the partition using the NTFSfile system(Quick)
format the partition using the NTFSfile system.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS MY CHOICE??????

marelsoft

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...from the errors you got from the check disk....it seems that you should be attempting to get a new HD....it seems to have unrecoverable sectors....the fact that C: (the drive your windows was supposed to be on in the first place) says that it doesn't know what kind of file system is on it means that that partition is probably where the bad sectors are.....the question is..how much data on the disk is non recoverable? how much of the data on the disk is imperative?

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks Dsenette
There are some files I would like to recover, but what is the procedure to do that. My folder would be a choice for example. Do you know what might have caused such a disaster. Is virus a possibility or rather HD mechanical or other problems.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could be any number of things....but usually when software suggests that you replace hardware then it is usually hardware related... download the ubcdrwindows.iso from www.dsenette.geekstogo.com/tools/ and burn the file to a disk as a bootable iso. once you do that let me know

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Dsenette,
you mean I should download UBCD4Windows24.iso and change name to bootable.iso. There is no ubcdwindows.iso on that site
Thanks,

Marelsoft

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
UBCD4Windows24.iso <-- that...and no...you should burn it to a cd as a bootable cd.

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks Dsenette again. Buy I still need your advice. I am not sure how to create bootable CD.
Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what burning software do you use?

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I am contacting you from Public Library. My PC crushed. They Have DirectCD utility.
Marelsoft

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok well that's not gonna get the job done......is that it? that's the only utility they have? no other parts of the roxio package?

marelsoft

marelsoft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Dsenette,
They have one PC used by staff with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. I can use this PC. Please write down specific procedure. I cannot spend too much time with that PC and learn how to do that. Thanks for you help.
Marelsoft

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll get you some instructions