Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan-spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Danielle F

Danielle F

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My father bought a calculator for work and it came with a computer program, but when we placed it on our computer it said that we needed to download a program from the internet. Since we did that we have had so many problems. When ever we turn it on the background screen is blue with a message that says "Fatal error in IE has occured at 0028:COOllE36 in VXD VMM<0l>+000l0E36. Error caused by Trojan-spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c". It also states that our computer can not work properly. So now we can not do anything with our own computer, we can't even log onto the internet from the infected computor, so i am using my laptop to do this. Since we don't know that much about computers we went to Walmart and picked up "Norton SystemWorks 2005". But when we ran the program it stated that it could not fix the problem. Please help we do not know what to do.

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi Danielle F, welcome to Geeks to go. My name is Trevuren and I will try to help.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order in which they are mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes.

We will have to work through your laptop onto the other machine. We will need rewritable media common to both machines. Probably a re-writable CD or a few ordinary CDs.

The first thing we need you to do is:

1. Download the following HijackThis autoinstall program from Here HJT needs to be in its own folder so that the program itself isn't deleted by accident. Having the backups could be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!

2. Then you copy the program onto the broken machine and run the program.

It will install HJT where it is supposed to go.

3. Once properly installed on the broken machine, run the program as follow:

Close ALL windows except HJT

SCAN with HJT and SAVE LOG. (a notepad window will open with the log in it when you click Save Log) (Ctrl-A to'select all', Ctrl-C to 'copy')

4. Copy the Notepad log back on to removable storage media, put it into your machine, open up the file into Notepad and Copy/Paste the content into this thread.
I will then look at the log and do my darndest to find the problem

Regards, and Good Luck

Trevuren

Danielle F

Danielle F

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Trevuren,
When i tied to follow the directions you gave me i placed the CD into the other computer and copied the file onto the computer but when i tried to open it i got this message; "C:Documents and settings\All Users\Documents\HJT\HJTsetup\HJTsetup.exe is not a valid Win32 application" since i was not able to open the application i have no idea. Can you please help?

Edited by Danielle F, 01 August 2005 - 01:42 PM.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I am afraid that I am at a loss. I will refer your case over to our tech forum because I think this is not just malware.

Trevuren

Danielle F

Danielle F

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I went back onto the computer and it sayed that we have the virus "Bloodhound.w32.EP." I'm not sure if it helps any.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.