Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP home randomly crashing

• Please log in to reply

Oilpig

Oilpig

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm new to the site but have seen a lot of helpful information. However, I've not found a solution to my problem.

The system with the problem is running Windows XP home editions with SP2 installed. Out of the blue it started crashing today. By crashing, I mean it locks up for about 30 seconds, then reboots. While rebooting it runs scandisk each time with no errors found. Windows then boots up fine. It doesn't really matter what application I start, it still crashes. I've been able to open control panel and remove some programs, but eventually it still crashes. It crashes everytime I open IE 6.0.

I've tried using the XP CD to repair. It will boot to the CD, ask me if I want to repair or install. When I choose repair, it ask which installation I want to repair. I entered "1", then it asks for admin password. I left it blank (i.e., [Enter]). It then just gives me a "C:\Windows>" prompt.

Where do I start to fix this problem? I have data on this system that I cannot lose (if at all possible). It's not affecting my wireless network to my other PC. Any ideas?

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

I've tried using the XP CD to repair.  It will boot to the CD, ask me if I want to repair or install.  When I choose repair, it ask which installation I want to repair.  I entered "1", then it asks for admin password.  I left it blank (i.e., [Enter]).  It then just gives me a "C:\Windows>" prompt.

View Post

The method u are following is for "Repair from Recovery Console", to repair automatically refer this link.

Also maybe all the crashing can be caused due to damaged RAM, Download memtest86 to check ur RAM.

Oilpig

Oilpig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, you were right. I was trying to repair (using "R" option) as opposed to running Windows XP setup from CD. When I used the first option to run setup (i.e., install) over top the old XP, it's working now.

Ok, now there's still a problem. When I try to run the updates from Microsoft, it says that I've already installed SP2. However, I can't open/configure the firewall, and when I open the secturity center from the control panel, the only thing listed there is "automatic updates", nothing about the firewall. When I try to configure the firewall from the control panel, it tells me "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot configure the firewall at this time."

Secondly, the pop-up blocker on IE is gone too. Any ideas on how to fix these minor problems?

Thanks for the help in advance.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
removed -- spam!

Oilpig

Oilpig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks again for all the help. The system seems to be working fine after I reinstalled all of the Windows updates (including SP2). I've run steps 1 & 2 mentioned in the previous reply. No virus but a lot of "issues" from ccleaner. Got all of those fixed now.

I'm a little leary about running memtest. Is there a set of instructions for us not-so-system-savy people? It mentions in the instructions that it can cause some serious problems (i.e., crashing when running commands). Anything I need to know before I run it?

Thanks again.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Memtest86+ is run from a floppy disk or CD-ROM, it is perfectly safe to use and cannot crash anything but itself since it runs independent of the OS. I've never seen it crash but that is a moot point since it does not matter. You have to boot to it to run it. Also make sure you are using Memtest86+ not Memtest86, it is updated more frequently.

Did you run the Spyware scans in Safemode?

Edited by GeneralAres, 27 July 2005 - 05:51 PM.

Oilpig

Oilpig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, I didn't run the spyware scans in safe mode. Should they be run in safe mode? ;)

(ok, at this point I must sound like a real idiot. However, computers just aren't my thing. So before you think too badly of me, consider the fact that I went to school for 9 years to learn all about rocks. Wanna talk about rocks for a while? Exactly, my interests aren't all that exciting to you either. :tazz: )

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Yes to be sure you are clean you should run them in safe mode, they miss alot of items in normal mode where it is easier for the items to hide (conceal they are running). Just about everybody does not know this so don't feel bad.

Then run Memtest86+ to check your RAM.

It is great to get everything working, I just like to know what caused the problem so it does not happen again.

FYI, you only sound like an idiot if you pretend to know. It is much wiser to ask to be sure and to get it right. :tazz: