Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

desktop freeze

• Please log in to reply

abigail

abigail

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

My PC has windows 98 and is fairly loaded down with stuff as I've been using it for years. I had it on for about 48 hrs without turning it off then turned it off and the desktop now freezes. It does everything as normal and the desktop and icons come up but then although the mouse will move the arrow I can't actually click on anything incl the start button. I can shut it down with control alt delete but rebooting doesn't seem to help. Can get into the PC in safe mode. tried running virus scan in safe mode a couple of days ago, ran it about half way through then the pc crashed. When I started it up again in normal all was OK. Worked on it fine but then when I shut it down again the same thing happened. Have tried rebooting a million times, changing the mouse and even running the virus thing in safe mode again to see if I can give it the same jolt. Once again it crashed it but this time there's no change. Still can't click on anything on the desktop. Read some advice of here and have tried unplugging the printer, that won't work either. Am getting desperate. I work on my pc and have docs going back five years on there I need to be able to access. I don't have an internal CDRW so can't burn anything onto CD in safe mode. Please help me!! I'm not very PC literate so need suggestions to be idiot speak!!! Thank you!!!

PS It seems to be stopping before the virus software and firewall have loaded?

Edited by abigail, 26 July 2005 - 02:01 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.