Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU/heatsink and power supply/mobo questions

• Please log in to reply

MavenPrime

MavenPrime

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all,

This is my 1st time building a new computer from parts I have just bought, and I have 2 questions. If someone could please answer them.

1) When trying to hook my power supply to my motherboard I fing out that my mobo has a 24 pin connector and my power supply has a 20 pin connector. Will the 20 pin connector work? Do I need a converter? I guess I could send one of them back to newegg and get another that works. What is the best solution to my prob?

My case - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811148023
My mobo- http://www.newegg.co...049#DetailSpecs

2) I had some trouble figuring out how to install my heat sink to my CPU and in the process had to pull the heatsink off the CPU once after the adheasive pad (or whatever its called) had already connected with the CPU. About a minute after that I figured out how and place the heatsink back on. But the instructions say to replace the pad if u take the heat sink off the CPU. Is that really necessary? I didn't power up anything.

CPU-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

1) When trying to hook my power supply to my motherboard I fing out that my mobo has a 24 pin connector and my power supply has a 20 pin connector. Will the 20 pin connector work? Do I need a converter? I guess I could send one of them back to newegg and get another that works. What is the best solution to my prob?

Buy a new Power supply or a new case that has a PS with a 24 pin power connector. The 20 pin won't work.

2) I had some trouble figuring out how to install my heat sink to my CPU and in the process had to pull the heatsink off the CPU once after the adheasive pad (or whatever its called) had already connected with the CPU. About a minute after that I figured out how and place the heatsink back on. But the instructions say to replace the pad if u take the heat sink off the CPU. Is that really necessary? I didn't power up anything.

Was the thermal pad noticeably "deformed" or was it still flat? It's important to have good heat transfer from CPU to heatsink. If in doubt, don't take a chance... instead, purchase some Arctic Silver 5 heatsink compound and get rid of that thermal pad.

maka

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Firstly, your ATX power question:
Yes, you can buy a 20pin to 24pin atx convertor. This converter will be male to female (like an extension lead) so make sure you get the right one. ie one that connects 20pin PSU to 24pin motherboard, not the other way round!

The heatsink/CPU query :
Strictly speaking your manual is correct - you should renew the thermal pad/compound everytime the heatsink is removed. This is especially important if you are using an AMD cpu.
You will need to clean off the old pad/paste using a special anti-static cleanser, then apply the new thermal pad or paste. Make sure you use a thermal compound thats recommended for that CPU & is of a high quality

Edited by Samm, 26 July 2005 - 01:53 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah converters are easily picked up in most computer shops, you should apply new compound although you could probably get away with it as long as it was only off for a very short period of time, i probably wouldnt want to chance it though if its your first build some arctic silver 5 will do as good a job or better. To clean the old pad off some rubbing alcohol and a cotton bud is fine in most cases especially since you never used it.