Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page File usage constant

• Please log in to reply

mayanksingh

mayanksingh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
What do I do?
My page file usage is constant at 218 MB. Hardly changes and system performance is pathetic. (It wasn't so earlier).
Running Windows XP SP2

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Pls. provide more info.
Whats ur system config?
Is ur paged file System managed or Custom Size?
Do u suspect a malware infection?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
More questions, not that darth Ash's aren't good ones. Have you added any programs that use a lot of memory like P2P sharing or video editing? The page file systems catches the overflow that your memory can't handle, and because it's on your hard disk your system slows way down.

mayanksingh

mayanksingh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
System Configuration
Intel Pentium 2 2.4 GHz
128 MB DDR RAM
Running Windows XP Professional SP 2

Paging Memory is system managed.
I do have P2P software but even at the time of starting the sytem when no programs are running I have a pagefile usage of 218 MB approx.

A similar problem was faced by another boarder here who was also having precisely the same problem (and 218 MB of page memory usage) and it was due to a stuck print out in memory (??? I do not know how that could possibly happen)

- I also had some stuck documents in print que but I plugged off my printer and it is off for repairs. Later I deleted the printer too.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

System Configuration
Intel Pentium 2 2.4 GHz
128 MB DDR RAM
Running Windows XP Professional SP 2

Paging Memory is system managed.
I do have P2P software but even at the time of starting the sytem when no programs are running I have a pagefile usage of 218 MB approx.

View Post

You don't have enough memory. You really need 256mb minimum
for XP/SP2, and in your case twice that much would be better. Some P2P apps can use 70-80mb by themselves.

When you boot up compare memory usage to available memory by opening task manager to running processes and look at memory commitement vs. available memory. Then open some of your bigger apps and compare again.

I'd say that you need at least a stick of 256mb memory added. It needs to match the type now in your system, or you need memory compatable with your system. It's very easy to get the wrong kind so be carefull.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can u post a HJT log.