Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't Print to Network Printer

• Please log in to reply

hblaser

hblaser

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a computer running Windows 98 that is on a Network. The computer connects to the Internet fine, as well as to other computers.

However, when I try to print to a printer on another computer on the network, I get the error, "Paper not loaded in any tray", when there is paper loaded. I'm printing to an HP Laserjet 4M. Other computers on the network print to it just fine.

I updated the drivers on the Win98 computer, as well as the computer where it is hosted, I installed drivers for the compatibility with Win98. I did a Windows update. I can view the printer fine when I install it, as well as in Network Neighborhood, I can see it there as well. Why is it giving me this error?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does this error occur when attempting to print a test page? or just from specific programs?

hblaser

hblaser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Both, it won't print a test page or even just a .txt document, everything gives me the error. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you install it as a local printer or a network printer?

hblaser

hblaser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Network.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and it's installed locally on another machine? the printer doesnt have a nic card or a jetdirect attatched to it right?

hblaser

hblaser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, it's locally installed on another computer on the same network. All of the other computers in the office (they have XP), can print to it just fine. It doesn't have a printer server on it.

hblaser

hblaser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Any ideas? :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not right this second....networked printers suck....are all the rest of the computers that CAN print 98 as well?

hblaser

hblaser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

...All of the other computers in the office (they have XP), can print to it just fine.

View Post

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry....didn't read far enough back

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Hblaser

You have the printer connected locally to a XP cp and shared the printer, correct. This cp will now act like a print server and allow the other XP cps to print because they are using the same printer drivers.

On the cp that has the shared printer, right click the printer, select properties, sharing tab, select additional drivers and make sure that the one for Windows 98 is selected and press ok.

Go back to your 98 cp, and before pressing print, check the settings on the printer to see that it is not set for manual tray as default.

hblaser

hblaser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

On the cp that has the shared printer, right click the printer, select properties, sharing tab, select additional drivers and make sure that the one for Windows 98 is selected and press ok.

View Post

See my first post, "...installed drivers for the compatibility with Win98"..I already did this step. It still doesn't print.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
have you checked your paper size settings. Are you trying to print letter size to A4