Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer/Windows Explorer [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jayqdoc100

jayqdoc100

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. Recently, my access to the internet, as well as files and folders on my computer, has been badly compromised. When I double-click on the Internet explorer icon on my desktop, a box pops up, apologizing for the inconvenience, but stating that "internet explorer must shut down". No error script is given--just an invitation to send an error report. Further, when I try to view files on my computer, a box pops up saying that windows explorer is not functioning properly. I ran a full ad-aware scan, because I was suspicious that my recent download of the Lime-wire program, along with aborted attempts at license acquisition for some of its contents, might have compromised my system. The scan found hundreds of spyware which I have since removed....and the above problems began shortly thereafter. I have been running Mcafee's anti-virus program ever since, but I have not been able to make it through an entire scan as yet. It has been scanning for 22 hours by now! This posting is only possible because of use of a friend's computer. Also, it may be beneficial to know that my Hotmail messenger is functioning fine, so I KNOW that my computer is connected because I can see dialogue boxes open, as well as emails as they come in. What do I do? I can't even get online to download all of the ani-spyware/trojan/virus and clean-up programs you recommend! Can you please help me?

Addendum: I also tried a 'system restore' on this laptop (a dell Inspiron). I attempted to restore to a restore point BEFORE the Java update I made on the morning in question, after which the above issues began surfacing. It has not helped.

Edited by jayqdoc100, 26 July 2005 - 05:35 PM.

Advertisements

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
Hi and welcome to GeeksToGo! My name is Sam and I will be helping you. :tazz:

If you have access to another computer, burn these programs to a disk so that you can transfer them over to the infected computer.

WinsockFix XP

Adaware SE

Ewido Security Suite

SmitRem.zip

Hijackthis

Once you have your disc of tools you will need to extract SmitRem to your infected computer and also install Hijackthis. If you can't get that done because of errors try it in Safe mode.

Please reboot your computer in SafeMode by doing the following:
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
* if you have trouble getting into Safe mode go here for more info.

Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool.
  • Follow the prompts on screen.
  • Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.
  • The tool will create a log named smitfiles.txt in the root of your drive, eg; Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed. Please post that log along with all others requested in your next reply.
Also post a hijackthis log so I can see what you have running on your computer.

Let me know if you have problems and can't complete these steps.

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.