Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Comparison Question

• Please log in to reply

DJ Sherpa

DJ Sherpa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, been looking at getting a second external hard drive. I was looking at the WD 320 gig. My first question is what is the difference between SATA 100 and 150. and will both work with a 3.5" external enclosure? My second question is how much of a difference does it make adding 16mb of cache instead of 8mb?

I use a Powerbook G4 and do a lot of sound recording if this is necessary. Use the firewire port for harddrives.

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I believe that the difference between SATA 100 & SATA 150 is 50MB/s theoretical bus speed. To be honest, I wasn't aware of a SATA 100 speed. If the enclosure takes SATA, it will take both. Going to the bigger cache will definitely speed up read/write times, but without knowing the actual numbers, my estimation would be not more than 10% faster. Since you do a lot of sound recording, I would recommend getting the bigger cache size and the fastest speed available.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
There is no official SATA-100 spec, a true SATA drive is 150 or higher. I suspect any drive labeled SATA-100 maybe an EIDE drive with a converter. Simply put get an SATA-150 drive with 16MB of Cache and 7200 RPM or higher spindle speed. The cache and RPM affect the performance the most.

DJ Sherpa

DJ Sherpa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK I think I have decided to go with this Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM

Anyone have any suggestions for an external case? Cheap and 1 or 2 firewire ports is good....

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

OK I think I have decided to go with this  Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM

Anyone have any suggestions for an external case?  Cheap and 1 or 2 firewire ports is good....

View Post

Acomdata.