Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on Windows Startup

• Please log in to reply

rogue9

rogue9

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer is getting the BSOD on Windows startup and immediately restarts. I then get the option of starting in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and Normal Mode. I have seen one person fix this problem before on my machine. If anyone knows how to fix the problem without freshly reinstalling Windows (I have recent emails that haven't been backed up), drop me a line. I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it start in any of those or just flip back to blue bits.

You can repair it from here

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation leaves data and settings intact, however, it is then better to save whatever you need then do a clean install, at your leisure.

If you have a suitable restore point, and can access command prompt, you can start system restore this way

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

rogue9

rogue9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I should rephrase what I said before. When I said that I have the options of starting in safe mode, the moment I press enter, I get the BSOD, and the computer promptly reboots, sending me in the endless cycle of BSOD on startup with those options.

I have tried a Windows Repair, but I still have the same issue. I can't back anything up until I can get into Windows.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what is the stop message on the BSOD

rogue9

rogue9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When the BSOD comes up, the computer restarts immediately. I do not have time to see anything on the BSOD since it shows for a split second.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in all liklihood, you have a corrupted registry.

THis is the process for fixing it
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

it is...complex and seems to work about 50 percent of the time.

A windows repair process might also work...this is when you essentially install windows on top of itself...it will not destroy your data but will require you reinstall service packs.

rogue9

rogue9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay . . . I got Windows back working again (thanks for the link to the Microsoft page), and everything is back the way it was except my user account. I'm using Administrator for now, but I need to get access to my account to get stuff out of it. I went into User Accounts to see if my account was there, and it is not. I don't want to create a new account with the same name in case if something were overwritten or I couldn't get access to my missing folders, that kind of stuff. Any ideas?

rogue9

rogue9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I finally got my user account back. Thanks for all your help. My computer's working normally again (though for how long, who knows? That's always the questions with Windows, isn't it?).