Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Manufacturer Mode

• Please log in to reply

sauerbach41

sauerbach41

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was recently trying to get to my notebook fan (not working) and opened my notebook about halfway to find I could not get to it easily. Fearing I might break something I closed my notebook back up . When I started the computer again, the screen remained blank for approximately 2 minutes and then said it was starting in Manufacturer mode and to press Fn-X to return to normal mode. The Fn-X didn't work and Windows XP eventually booted. My computer is working normally once windows begins to boot. To make matters even stranger, my fan is now working. Do you know why it went into manufacturer mode? Why can't I get out of it? I have a Dell Inspiron 4000. It initally had Windows Me and then a year ago I upgraded to XP. A few weeks ago I upgraded my hard drive from 10 gigs to 60 gigs and used Apricorn EZ Upgrade to clone the hard drive. Thank you.

Edited by sauerbach41, 27 July 2005 - 12:14 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well when you opened it up you will have tripped the intrusion sensor and it kicked the laptop into the manufacturers mode as it will have assuned a problem it would have scanned your pc and reset the cmos, more than likely, just a educated guess but it seems likely.

sauerbach41

sauerbach41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there anyway to change it back to normal mode?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could try and reset the intrusion sensor if it has them.

sauerbach41

sauerbach41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you have any idea how to find the intrusion sensor and reset it?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Bios

sauerbach41

sauerbach41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried updating the Bios with no change. How would I find the intrusion sensor in the Bios.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just take a look around, it might not be there or hidden in another section and unless you know the key combo getting into hidden parts is imposible. Have you tried googling it someone else will have more than likely done it before on your kind of computer.