Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error: domain not available

• Please log in to reply

mattbrook

mattbrook

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all,

I am using Win2K (old pc) @ my work and received a new pc with Win XP (new pc) on it. When I try to log into the new pc I get the error: Can’t log into domain …. Domain not available. Some one said it might be a DNS or WINS issue. So I compared it to the old pc that gets on the network just fine. All the settings are the same. I am using the following:

- Static IP
- Static DNS
- Wins server
- Check gateway too. Same as old pc

Everything seems to be the same except the IP address of course.

Any advice ?

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
you may want to use nslookup to check the DNS status. or this page may help,

network errorsis not accessible" "...the domain "name" is not available." "... not accessible. Access Denied" "...not available. The server is not configured for ...
http://www.chicagote...t/neterrors.htm - Similar pages

Shaggy

Shaggy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't know if you are or aren't, but you should be working with your network administrator if you are not that person, and of course assuming there is such a person in your organization. Your computer may need to be added to the domain to allow it access.

mattbrook

mattbrook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I sloved it guys.. REALLY weird situation though let me explain this one.

Our PC's are imaged with WINXP, but with the touches of our company. They work with Microsoft and add there bits and pieces. What I had to do is log in as admin..... right click any program....run as and use the my domainname\userID and password. Log out and log in as myself... worked !!!

:tazz:

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
We always advise our clients to test before imagng it. Thank you for the update.