Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLZ HELP

• Please log in to reply

silverblades

silverblades

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK so im having a problem with my computer freezing when ever it feels like it. I have a 350W power supply and this is what i run...
3x 120mm blue led fans
1x LCD screen (fan controller)
1x CD burner
1x DVD burner
2x 200gb wd hard drives
2x black light neons
1x beetle cpu fan
front case light (nemesis case)
various other cards
My new 256-6600GT graphic card
------------
P4 intel 2.8Ghz
2x 512 3200 in Ram
P4X400-8235 motherboard

Do i need a new power supply and if so how big do i go?

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
If it is a high quality power supply then it can be between 400-450 watts.

Power Supply Selector

However why your system is locking up can be due to many reasons.

Did you system recently start locking up after you upgraded something?
Are you overclocking anything?
Have you checked for Viruses/Spyware and tested your RAM? You can do that here.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well theres alot in that system but 350W while pushing it if it is a quality one shouldnt be the problem. Check the other components take out all the unnecesary parts of your system.

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for your replys i think i will upgrade my power supply anyway since my one is a (MEC) and i think it is cheap package deal one.

I disconected all power except the vitals to run the computer and i still get freezing so it has to be something else any suggesrions on what to do?
-Ive done a virus scan
-Ive done a spyware scan

So i think it is hardware related.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Have you run a memory test? Overheating can also cause it freeze as well as a defective CPU and Mainboard.

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok i just got memtest, everest and stress test will do this shortly :tazz:

and how is this for a power supply
JSP BlueFire 500W

Also i dont think heat is a problem for my cpu since i had to put my cpu fan on lowest settings and i still only get 20 degees C so im i running to cold?

Edited by silverblades, 27 July 2005 - 11:10 PM.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
You're in Aus eh? Haven't heard great things about the JSP - how many amps does the 12v rail put out?

Have you checked out the PSU's on Techbuy? Good range. If you want something with blue LED's, I'd go for the OCZ 520w modstream. That will give you enough amps on the 12v rail as well as the cable management system.

350W running everything you've got in your machine would be tight unless it has over 20A on the 12v rail, which it would not if it is a generic PSU.

And no, you're not running too cold - 20c is a great cpu temp.

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
K thanks KGH i will look on techbuy (it does not realy need pretty lights in it) it just had uv sleaving already done, because i did it not that long ago on my current power supply and i would have to do it again thats all.

Also i have just finished a memtest i only did 3 passes and got no errors

Edited by silverblades, 28 July 2005 - 02:15 AM.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Are the freezes more prevalent when you are using any particular application? Eg, are they occurring moreso during game play, booting, internet browsing, file transfers?

Have you run Prime 95?

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i jus got prime95 not sure what to do with it. but i got to go to work right now so i will try it when i get home thanks for the help

Advertisements

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
No worries.

Prime allows you to select a number of tests which strain CPU and RAM to gauge stability.

Run the CPU test first, preferably for a couple of hours.

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok, so when i got home from work i used prim95, i did a blend test first and i left it for 12hrs 39mins and got 0 errors, 0 warnings. I was surprised to see that the pc did not freeze up but then i clicked on firefox and it froze, so far ive found that during or striaght after bootup it freezes and during internet activities. But the thing is it sometimes lets me on the net for as long as 3hrs i think and other times as soon as the browser is open. Instaling large programs can freeze up also.

So im still lost is there any info i can give to narrow the search?

PS what do i do now? ;)

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
What sort of mouse are you using?

Also, what are your DRAM voltage settings?

Have your tried using IE to see if you have the same problem?

What anti virus software are you using and have you checked for spyware / adware?

Do you get any lockups in games?

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ive tried both my creative corded wheel mouse and my logitech Mx700 same effects

DRAM Voltage settings are set to default, the options i have are +2 +4 +6 percent
I am using Phoenix- AWARD Workstation BIOS

IE freezes as well

I use norton antivirus/firewall and i scan with ad-aware personal(yes and yes)

I have not really played games yet due to the problem but i played for 15-20 mins of morrowind did not freeze at the time.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Try increasing your DRAM voltages a little. I don't think this will help, but you never know. When I was getting random freezes like you describe upping my voltage improved stability.

You say your 6600GT is new? When you initially installed it, did the freezes start occurring?

Have you otherwise made sure that everything is up to date? Bios, video drivers, sound card, mouse (if applicable).

Have you recently changed any settings in Bios?

Edited by KGH, 28 July 2005 - 09:58 PM.