Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLZ HELP

• Please log in to reply

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
These freezes where happening before. I had 2 harddrives lose it at the same time so i replaced them reinstalled windows (i had to do this a few times to get my audio to work)
Everything has stayed the same. My PC never use to freeze then maybe 2months ago it started to freeze, so i got an antifreeze progam off the net(from where i cant remember) and i think it helped at the time, then the hds crashed so i installed everything again and freezeing occured again. No test thus far have show me that my hardware is not good but something has to be not working right.

Advertisements

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
(1) What kind of hard drives are you using?

(2) Can you say whether you have flashed your bios to the latest available; updated video drivers etc?

(3) Have you tried disconnecting some peripherals? Eg, boot up with only the essentials connected, and see if get any freezes. Gradually reconnect other peripherals and test, to see if it is hardware or software related to a particular piece of hardware.

Edited by KGH, 28 July 2005 - 10:13 PM.

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
jus so you know thanks for sticking with me,
im using western digitals 7200 200gbs ech IDE's

I have not had to flash my bois due to the fact that i have not found an update for it.

As ive been talking to you i only have the os hard drive in, graphic card, RAM, Mobo and
LCD with it only controlling the front fan and cpu fan everything else lights ect have been disconected including my optical drives

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I uped my DRAM voltage by 2 percent and so far no crash but i will keep testing opening closing ect because its only been 10 mins but that is good.
i can go 4 and 6 percent as well, is it wise to increse the voltage more if the pc freezes again?

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
No worries.

I know you're running anti virus and spyware, but I wonder if it would be worth posting a highjack this log in the malware forum? Can't hurt.

Are you using the Nvidia 77.72 drivers for the 6600GT? I know you have good ventilation in your case, but have you checked the video card's temperature? I know it's unlikely to be the card, but worth a check anywho.

As for the voltage, what RAM are you using?

Edited by KGH, 28 July 2005 - 10:35 PM.

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok i am using the drives from the disk that came with the card and yes they are 77.72

The temp sensor near the 6600GT says 22oC and the heatsink is bearly warm so it should be correct.

As for the RAM im am using 2 512 sticks as far as i know they are 3200

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Ok, I really don't think it is your vid drivers, but you could try rolling back to an older version.

Have you had any freezes since upping the Ram?

How are you connected to the internet, and what network and usb functionality does your mobo have? I remember reading a thread where someone had a very similar problem to you, experienced mainly when browsing the internet, and I recall it was something to do with a usb connection. Helpful I know... :tazz:

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Just on the side my 6600GT is like 2 days old and every now and again the fan makes a very loud noise (its like a grinding noise) if i tap on the fan it goes away should i be taking it back? and remember i have not stressed it by playing games yet

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Could be a bad bearing in the fan - do you know if it has a sleeve or ball bearing? You are sure the noise is not caused by a wire interfering with the fan?

If it is annoying, it might be worth taking it back. Sounds as though it may be faulty in which case it may break down and jeopardise the card's safety.

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
no freezes since uping the ram, i even installed the morrowind expansions that froze before and this time they completed ;)

Also i have tried connecting 2 ways first i just used an ethernet cabe to the modem and got freezing and then i tried my wireless and that did the same but at the moment everthing is ok including the net for now..still test different pages :tazz:

Advertisements

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Nice. Fingers crossed. Have you made a decision about the PSU? I still think, even if the freezing stops, that it would be worth your while investing in a new one, if possible.

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
There is no indication on the box or book to tell what type of fan setup its got and there are no wire getting in there so im gonna give the shop a call now
it can get loud enough that i can hear it outside the room with the pc shut up tight, so thx ive never had a good card before 6600GT might not be the best but it will will be better than my fx5200

silverblades

silverblades

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
You were of course right that my PSU at +12V it can only have 14A
So i will get the OCZ ModStream 520W ATX Power Supply that you sugested
i had a look and its a good PSU thanks again.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Yeah, I'd take it back. Sounds like a faulty bearing.

The 6600GT is a good card. I'm using it in a 4000+ system and it performs well enough.

Still stable?

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
You could probably go with the 450W if you wanted and save a bit of cash - that has 26A (compared to 28A for the 520W) on the 12V rail which should be enough for you.

Otherwise, look at the 535W or 600W Enermax' or something from Antec.