Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad-Aware can't download New Definitions file

• Please log in to reply

Helga Baird

Helga Baird

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, it is the first time I am doing this. I have free Ad-Aware and today when I downloaded new definitions file, it told me it can't read it. I read that one can get it manually, but I can't find it anywhere. Helga P.S. I downloaded Ad-Aware again from scratch, but the same thing happened.

P.S. I noticed that somebody mentions a defs.zip, but I do no know whether I can download it and whether it is current. Helga

Edited by Helga Baird, 27 July 2005 - 01:44 AM.

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hello!

I had this problem as well on both of my computers.

I reinstalled AdAware, and now it works fine.

You can get the latest definition file at the Lavasoft website.

This link below is the most current update on July 26 05

http://download.lava...public/defs.zip

Manual Installation: Unzip the archive, replace the existing file and restart Ad-Aware\Ad-Watch.
You can also use the webupdate component implemented in Ad-Aware to install this update

Also, if you manually press the update buttons on AdAware, you should be able to get the current updates.

This link below will take you to castlecops.com, it is a post in the AdAware forum there about this issue.

http://castlecops.co...re_Updates.html

If you need more info, please visit the lavasoft website!
http://www.lavasoft.de/

Edited by Jfcap, 27 July 2005 - 01:51 AM.

Helga Baird

Helga Baird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, thanks for the quick answer. I downloaded the file and I will check out all the other information. Helga

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hi There!

Happy to help!

Hope you get adaware up and running :tazz:

Helga Baird

Helga Baird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Justin, I dialled in again just to let you know that it works. Reinstalling did not help. Then I downloaded the def file. I deleted it under Programs:Lavasoft and pasted the new file. I just checked, it works. Thanks again. Helga

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Loads of people have had this problem and many has it all the time.

Lavasoft has maybe taken off few servers or something. Now mine works though - had to download the latest defs manually first..

- Rawe :tazz: