Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB ADSL modem to air station

• Please log in to reply

fillstar

fillstar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to set up a wireless net in my home. The purpose is to share files and use a single internet connection between two computers. Both computers are running Windows XP. Both have wireless capability. I recently bought a WBR-G54 Buffalo airstation wireless LAN router with the hopes of setting things up. The problem is that the back of this router has only a WAN port that is supposed to connect to my ADSL modem, and then 4 other LAN ports that are supposed to connect to the computers. Unfortunately, my ADSL Xspeed modem is USB and cannot connect to my air station. Is there some adapter that will allow the connection? If not is there some other way to connect things so that I achieve the previously stated purpose ... when searching thru the posts I found something about just using the router as a basic switch which I didnt understand and perhaps it isnt even applicable here. Anyway, any help with this is appreciated. I should say that I am completely new to this home connection wireless stuff, so please spell things out and I apologize ahead of time if there was a post before answering this but I just didnt find it or recognize it as a solution to my problem.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
another option is contecting modem to one of computers using USB and setup ICS on the computer. setup another computer as ICS client connecting to the ICS host. this page may help,

ics setupSymptoms: after you setup ICS on an XP dial-up connects to the internet, ... Symptom: you setup ICS for other LAN clients to access the Internet. ...
http://www.chicagote...et/icssetup.htm

Edited by chicagotech, 27 July 2005 - 08:43 AM.

fillstar

fillstar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you chicagotech. For ICS to have meaning, my two computers must be connected in a network first. I have the one air station router, with one computer connected to the USB ADSL modem which in turn is connected to my phone line. Can I simply turn on the router, and set up my computers to use it as the local network connection in a wireless manner, thereby setting up my local network?