Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Delete Temporay Internet Files

• Please log in to reply

roger mattioli

roger mattioli

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am running Win XP Pro and have been having some problems getting error messages when using MS applications, especially IE. I do not get the errors with other applications. I get the message that the "application has encountered an error and needs to close". I can move the message window out of the way and still use the application so this annoying but appears to have no other effect. The message always refer to modname wininit.dll, modver 6.0.2900.2668 and offset 0001b820. I have run virus scans and the system shows up clean. wininit.dll is clean. Now I am trying to delete all temporary internet files. When I run system clean up I get the same error message and it will not delete the temp internet files. I tried through Windows Explorer and I can delete most, but not all of the temp internet files. How can I clean the folder out completely?

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
This isn't anything to do with IE temp files, you need to re-install Internet Explorer on your system. This is done via control panel -> add/remove programs -> add/remove windows components
untikc the option next to internet explorer and install it form Microsoft website. That will make sure you will be having the latest version with sp1.

roger mattioli

roger mattioli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I already have IE 6 with SP2.

roger mattioli

roger mattioli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I took care of my problem. There were some strange looking filed in the temp internet files that I could not delete. They were causing error messages when I ran IE and other MS software applications. No matter what I tried to do I could not delete the temp files. I came across a message that said to try Ccleaner, a freeware utility from Ccleaner.com. I downloaded it and ran it. I restarted my system and my temp internet file folder was cleaned out and I no longer get error messages. Try it. You will like it! :)