Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Outlook Express Store Issue

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I always swear to myself each time I have an OE problem that I will move back to Eudora, and I always end up back with OE, I'm not sure why. Here I am again, staring at dbx files and folders, struggling to find the innermost innards of OE, such as to park my saved dbx files from my pre-new-install computer. And here it is not only not working (I've seen that happen lots of times), but the files don't even exist, and I'm not sure creating those folders to fake the machine into reading them is really the answer.

Here's the issue (and maybe it has to do with a deeper installation issue -- the installation of a new Windows XP edition over an old Windows XP edition doesn't necessarily get rid of old settings, etc.

Ideally, if you have dbx folders and your old indbox pre-wipe saved on a CD, you should be able to just move them into the right folder, open up OE, and walla, OE will read them. Not. Why? Because the folders that "STORE" says the mail should be in don't exist. In this case, I get a STORE address in "options" that looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{0F2B9B83-CD9E-41A6-AB81-460B0F09FB8C}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Yet when I go into "Documents and Savings," even making sure that "hidden files" are showing, I dont find anything inside the Local Settings folders.

I tried creating a temp new folder, but the "search" can't even find it. Odd, huh? I tried hunting for the inbox itself, figuring an inbox.dbx with a new date could be where I should be parking the old folders to be read -- it wouldn't pull up in search. Am I mad?

Trying to just park those folders inside "Local Settings" doesn't work. And I don't know if even if I made folders with that complicated code label on in that it would work -- because in the past when I did that, it didn't.