Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Legality Question about Academic vers.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

XavierFrost

XavierFrost

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, i recentely bought Microsoft OFfice 2003 Upgrade as a gift to a friend, but unforutnately he does not have a previous version of office, and I am having trouble returning it. I am a full time student, but he is not. Would it be illegal for me to buy the academic version of the software which is cheaper, and then give it to him as a gift?

Advertisements

sawedoff

sawedoff

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Per Microsoft:

SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may transfer a copy of the Software to a different device. If
following such transfer the Software would be installed on more than three (3) devices, you must completely remove
the Software from the former device. No Transfer to Third Party. You may not transfer this EULA, any rights
hereunder, the Certificate of Authenticity, the Software or any of its components to any third party.

Thus, I think the answer to your question is: Yes, it would be illegal.

BW43

BW43

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Per Microsoft:

If following such transfer the Software would be installed on more than three (3) devices, you must completely remove
the Software from the former device.

My question: How would Microsoft know whether or not you uninstalled it on a device?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Because Office 2003 requires activation.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

My question: How would Microsoft know whether or not you uninstalled it on a device?

microsoft knowing or not doesn't make something less illegal

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
This is 2 years old... I doubt XavierFrost is still waiting for an answer.

Edited by stettybet0, 06 June 2007 - 08:22 PM.

BW43

BW43

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Of course, I agree that whether they know or don't know doesn't bear on the legality. My question was how would they know whether or not you uninstalled it. The answer did not fit the question. Of course I know it has to be activated. But how would Microsoft judge whether or not one was telling the truth when they said it had been uninstalled from a previous computer. Just one question here: How would Microsoft know?????

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i thought i closed this?...guess not...now i did