Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy drive do not show up in boot sequence

• Please log in to reply

uhelp

uhelp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Guys

I am currently fixing my friends old pentium 3. Since i have to reinstall xp from scratch i tried to boot from floopy, however when i go to boot sequence. The option of booting from floopy never shows up.

Can someone please help.

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Why are you trying to boot from the floppy?? WinXP is self-booting.. as long as the first boot device is the cd-rom, all you need to do is put the XP cd into the drive and re-start the system..

XP install should start on it's own...

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 27 July 2005 - 01:30 PM.

uhelp

uhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I want to boot from floppy because i want to create partion on drive. Is it possible to partision using xp bootable cd. Also it would be helpful to know why you dont get option of booting from floppy.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
XP can be used to setup whatever you want.. You simply decide how large a main partition you want and install XP to that..

Once XP is installed and running, you go into Disk Management and set as many logical or extended partitions the rest oof the hdd will allow for..

The boot setup is determined by BIOS.. You need to boot into there to determine what is going to be used to boot with and in what order!!

Murray

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the light on the floppy drive staying lit?