Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN msngr & Hotmail not working on my wireless pc

• Please log in to reply

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Thanks Catlady. <_<

Advertisements

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
WEP encryption keys is a string of letters and numbers that are generated from a passphrase (password) that you think up type in and the router software converts into that string for you that you have to type into your PC card utilities to grant access to the wireless router.

I would ask you to upgrade to Service Pack 2 for your own benifit, and patch those security issues. I'm going to look at your log now. As CW said it's not too bad. Nothing stands out to me either.

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Log looks ok. Service Pack 2 has updates for the new wireless network.
install SP2. Click here: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/.
-or-
It's a very large download, so if you're on dial-up, order a free CD here:
http://www.microsoft...default810.mspx

When you've done this you can check here to troubleshoot your individual problem:
troubleshoot link

Catlady125

Catlady125

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Madeleine,
It's me catlady125 again. Enter your network router's IP address into your browser's address field. Your router's admin login screen should pop up. You should be able to find your IP address in your documentation as well as the system password unless you changed it which I strongly recommend you do for security. Once in, I press my 'wireless' tab and on the next screen press 'security' tab. My WEP keys appear as well as my security settings. I expect Belkin has a similar setup. Good luck.
Linda

madz2004

madz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks for all your help but i think i'm really out of my depth here. guess I'll just have to try and get by without secure sites! really can't understand why this is happening, maybe cos I still have to add the connection? no idea how to do that as the wizard thing doesn't have a wireless option
my head hurts
think I'm going to give up
<_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Don't give up, just hang in there a little longer, we are working on figuring this out. If you give up now then all the time you've spent figuring this out will be wasted. <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

madz2004

madz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks, ok I'll keep trying...
any advise would be a god send
M x

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Have you looked into any of Catlady's advice, because so far it is sounding like the best news I have come across. If you have questions on how to do this just ask.

-=jonnyrotten=-

madz2004

madz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I would try that advise but I don't really understand it all! I don't know how I put the IP address in the browser address field...as in www.192....etc??? I tried that and it didn't work
If anyone could spell it out to me that would be great
Thanks again
Madeleine

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Just type the ip address in the address bar, eg: 192.168.4.3 do not type http, www, or anything else, just the ip of your router. Hopefully once there you can get the web keys.

Hi Madeleine,
I just installed a Motorola Wireless Network and I can't access secure sites either so watching this thread w/intense interest. Regarding your WEP key, when I installed my network's software, a screen flashed up telling me to write down two WEP keys--they are long combinations of letters and numbers (26 characters I think). However, when I configure my wireless adapter to access my network, the WEP keys 'automatically' pop in when I enter my network name and password. Hope this helps.
Linda

Keep this in mind too, maybe you'll have to actually reinstall your network and keep a careful eye on this detail when you reinstall it. Try the first step before doing anything drastic though.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

Advertisements

madz2004

madz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
arrrgh I have the worst luck! That only brings up an MSN "we don't know what your looking for" search page!
Really don't know what I can do?!
thanks for all this help!
Madeleine

madz2004

madz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
If I put my IP address on here could someone else access my stuff or is that not possible/a really bad idea?!
Thanks
Madeleine

Catlady125

Catlady125

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Are you putting your IP address in your browser address or search field? My IP address is 9 numerical characters separated by decimal points. It should look like this: http://###.###.##.#

madz2004

madz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm putting in the address bar not searching but it leads me to msn search page because it doesn't load up whatever is supposed to come up with my IP address.

Catlady125

Catlady125

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Have you tried uninstalling your router software and reinstalling it? Does your install CD have a owner's guide to refer to for help accessing your router's setup?