Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Renewing IP address

• Please log in to reply

texas408

texas408

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently discovered some malware in the client PC of my 2 computer wired network. Now the client machine cannot connect to the network. It has been correctly set for DHCP, I have tried a new NIC card (disabled onboard),new cat5 cable, tried a different switch and nothing has made any difference or helped.

The client PC in question is an AMD 3000+ with WinXP Home SP2.

The gateway PC works fine. It is an AMD 2200+ with WinXP SP1.
LAN using Direcway satellite (USB modem), onboard NIC to Linksys EZXS55W 5-port switch.

Everything worked well until the malware was discovered on the client PC. EVERYTHING works fine on the gateway PC (interent, network drive and network printer).

I have tried everything I know of including ipconfig /releasew and /renew, but the ip config /renew gives the message "An error occured while renewing interface ZyXEL NIC : An operation was attempted on something that was not a socket."

Also, in the Network Connections window, when I select the ZyXEL NIC card and choose Repair this connection, I get the error message "Windows could not finish re3peairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: Renewing your IP address."

Please help! I have been working on this %#*& thing for almost 3 weeks and don't have much hair left to pull out!

Attached Thumbnails

• Harry___Molly1.jpg

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
cute dog...have you tried deleting that connection out of the network settings and creating a new one?

texas408

texas408

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thought the dog phot would go in the left column!!!

I've tried so many things that they're all blurry by now. How do I delete the network settings? WinXP lets me uninstall everything BUT the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the Connection Properties window. The Uninstall button is grayed out and not available!

Thanks

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

lets me uninstall everything BUT the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the Connection Properties window. The Uninstall button is grayed out and not available!

Thats because TCP and IP are two seperate protocols usually classified as one. If you uncheck TCP/IP you WILL NOT be able to get on the Internet.

TCP =Transmission Control Protocol

IP = Internet Protocol

Sounds like to me you might need to update the firmware for your modem. Also, try reset the modem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
basically what i meant was right click on my network places then left click on the connection and press delete.....then add a connection