Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comdlg32.dll error message

• Please log in to reply

Lisa

Lisa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A few weeks ago my lap top started giving me dumping memory errors. I have a Dell Inspiron 8100.
Eventually, it came up with the following error message:
STOP:C0000221 (Bad Image check sum error) The image comdlg32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the completed checksum.
I used the recovery/dell disk that came with the computer and attempted to reinstall Windows XP (included reformatting of hard drive). It was successful only up to a point and then when the computer rebooted itself this error message came up again. I heard the drive clicking and suddenly I ended up with a black screen telling me no optical devices of drives found.
At this point I could do nothing and assumed that my hard drive had crashed so I bought a new one.
When I tried to install the Windows XP again (with the dell disk that came with my computer) it did the exact same thing, it let me format, and went through proceess of checking files and setting up the system files. But when it rebooted the comdlg32.dll error message came up again. Now it is the only thing I see when I turn on the laptop.
What is going on and how do I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Lisa, welcome to Geeks to Go!

It does sound like your hard drive may have died, but then for it to do the same thing again with a new hard drive, and fresh install is very unusual.

Seems to me it would have to be a hardware error, or a particularly nasty BIOS virus. Did you have any antivirus software installed on this system?

Lisa

Lisa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, there was McAfee virus program on the computer. What would he suggest I do now. The computer when turned on only shows the error message and I cannot go further to do anything. Is there a utility to use to determine whether it is a hardware issue or a BIOS virus issue.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you have broadband, I'd recommend downloading Knoppix. It's a version of Linux that loads completely from a CD. If it works loads and runs okay, then it's probably not a hardware issue.

Download: http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

An alternative, would be to download the BIOS for your computer onto a floppy disk using another computer, and then using it to flash the BIOS to a known clean version.

Lisa

Lisa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you. I will try this tonight and see what I come up with and post my results or any other questions I might have.

my xp duznt work

my xp duznt work

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a similar problem here my computer turns on says dell and comes up with the windows xp loading thingi but then comes up with a blue screen says:
STOP: C0000221 [bad image checksum] the image comdlg32.dll is possibly corrupt. the header checksum does not match the corrupted checksum.
can u suggest any thing?? :) :)