Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

S-L-O-W email

• Please log in to reply

simsolfin

simsolfin

• Pip
  • 5 posts
First-I do not speak computer-babble, so be gentle and speak in simple english. Thank you.
Noted a slowing down of email about two weeks ago. Bought IPOD for daughter-nobody told me (and no I didn't read the box) that it needed newer than W-98 system. So, got xp prof installed. Saved all my files on disc, then wiped harddrive totally-I was advised to do so as was using Norton 2002 which I was told mght just as well not be there. Reloaded everything-cam, printer, scanner and all the software things I use (its for business so there's quite a number). Disaster-email so slow it might as well be sent by pigeon-post. Attachments won't attach-or take way too long to do so.
Cable modem replaced. System checked by cable company tecchies as it wasa little wonky-speed is OK, ping is OK. Internet Explorere is the one I use. Emails are Runbox, Yahoo, Hotmail, Excite. Occasionally they work just fine-opening the emails is right on-sending is slow, attaching files is a lost cause with runbox-used to be excellent. Yahoo is not bad so I add the files there, send it to runbox for text and then send out. Not efficient I know.
Windows xp firewall is disabled-possibility of working against Kasperskys own.
Disabling the anti-virus, setting the anti-hacker to 'allow all' make no difference. Traceroute is OK-yahoo comes in at 30ms, runbox is longer at 130 and is 19 hops. I think Y was 8. I need runbox as it has been my email for 4 years-do business worldwide and changing would be a nightmare.
Going bald quickly!!!!!!! Need help. Any ideas worth trying would be welcome. Oh, Spybot is used every three days or so. Sorry its so long.

Advertisements

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Is email retrieval and sending slow to just one particular email server or all email servers? Have you updated your XP pro install to SP2? (service pack 2) What email clients are you using? (outlook, outlook express, thunderbird...?) Is it establishing the connection to the email server that takes a long time or just uploading/downloading attachments or the email itself? If you clean boot do things speed up?
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310560

simsolfin

simsolfin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
overall it is slow to all servers but mostly to one I use most-runbox. opening emails is fine, opening attachments is fine, it is adding attachments and sending the emails where the problem is. But it is variable-sometimes it works just fine. ex yesterday it attached an 11mb file in 45 seconds, then took over 5 minutes for a 150kb file. Yahoo, Hotmail and excite are all the same,though Yahoo tends to be more reliable and faster more often. Don't know what 'clean boot' is.

simsolfin

simsolfin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
forgot-yes sp2 is installed updates on kaspersky anti-spam off

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
What email client? Did you clean boot?

simsolfin

simsolfin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the windows xp has the sp2 pack installed.
I was trying a few things and deleted my kaspersky anti=spam to see if that was causing the problem. But it made no difference.
I have no idea what clean boot is
Some guy at a repoair place told me that it may be spyware and to install microsofts antispyware, also that my 'winsoc-widows socket needed re-somethinmg,. I forget what

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
How to cleanboot is linked in the first response. Does using a different email client make a difference?

simsolfin

simsolfin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
different emails work at different rates, my main one is runbox which is the worst, yahoo and hotmail are next and are also poor-seems to be only for send, draft, attach, delete functions-opening email and getting to the email pages is OK.
I tried to read the link-gave up. :tazz: I am not a computer expert and all that computer-babble is just too much for me to follow. I need clear precise exact step by step instructions in an understandable language. :) I also would like to know just what 'clean boot' does before I do it. ;) I do appreciate the assistance. :(

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
It temporarily eliminates unnecessary background apps and services that could be causing the problem you're having.

START>RUN>MSCONFIG [enter]
In general tab, choose selective startup
uncheck load startup items
In services tab, check box hide all microsoft services
uncheck whatever you'd like in the remaining list
if u recognize it and it is needed, leave it checked. uncheck the rest
APPLY>CLOSE>REBOOT (it will popup again on reboot, just check the box that says don't prompt again or something)

If this doesn't help or anything "bad" happens you can reverse all changes:
START>RUN>MSCONFIG [enter]
In general tab choose normal startup
APPLY>CLOSE>REBOOT

Edited by trouduc, 31 July 2005 - 08:21 PM.