Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble connecting to wireless network

• Please log in to reply

looking4help

looking4help

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just got a used (new to me) laptop with windows xp pro. The wireless network has been set up for a while at home and 2 other laptops are able to access it. I installed a NetGear MA101 network adaptor with the latest driver (v2.4). Currently the network shows in the list of available networks, but when I click on connect...nothing. Tried disabling the WEP, but made no difference. In the NetGear adaptor utility it looks like it tries to connect (says "joining"), but can't.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I would try to setup it without any security first. if it works, then add the security. thsi page may help,

wireless setupHow to fix wireless connection issues How to use Ad Hoc connection Tips for Best Performance XP Wireless Network Connection Drops Every Few Minutes ...
http://www.chicagote...et/wireless.htm

looking4help

looking4help

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Isn't disabling the WEP on the router the same as not having any security? I also am not using any MAC filters.