Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can only log in in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

nussy

nussy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[B]My friends acer laptop running windows xp can only start up in safe mode. I tried to start the the last know good system option and it does not work. I cannot run sytem restore because it does not let me do it in safe mode. I am not that familiar with xp because I use 2000

Can anyone help me please?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

Edited by Keith, 27 July 2005 - 03:29 PM.

nussy

nussy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It may be a stupid question but how do I Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
....1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

(that's the headline...he tells you how in step 1, step 2.....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Nussy,

Apologies for the lack of clarity there, I read it after your response and it could easily be taken for needing to start at a command prompt first before going to steps 1 etc.

I will make sure it is posted as How to start the system restore at a command prompt in future.

Keith

nussy

nussy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's ok I really appreciate the help. Will go to his house later and try. He is 84 years old and makes alot of mistakes. His puter gets hung up very often and yells for help.