Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Cd drives not recognised at POST

• Please log in to reply

benboy

benboy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, nice little forum you have here. First post and all hoping some of you could be of some assistance.

Im having problems with both with my CD writer and DVD drive both seeming to die at the same time. When the PC boots up neither of the drives are being recognised so obviously not in windows either. Both drives are setup on the 2nd IDE controller and spin up when pc starts looking for drives at post.

I have tried using 1 drive as a slave to the HD in the 1st IDE controller and all is fine. The bios for the drives is set at auto, there is an option to change this to a CD-ROM with option for 'PIO' and 'UDMA Mode' but dont really know which to choose so have left well alone. Have tried resetting the bios by pulling the CMOS jumper and know i could flash the bios but am reluctant to do this because it is still under warranty.

The odd thing to me is that in Windows Device Mananger the 2nd IDE controller is reporting no problems. Does this rule out motherboard problems? Cables checked for seating and such.

If any could shed some light I would be gratefull.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

I assume you have jumpered one of the drives as master and the other as slave??

Murray

benboy

benboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes they kinda failed outta the blue. So were setup correctly in the first place.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. go back to Device Manager.. are both cd drives being recognized in there??

Murray

benboy

benboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Murry for taking an interest, but i have decided to send the pc back to base as their tech support said it was a hardware failure and they would fix for me. I only posted to see if any one had been having this problem and knew of quick fix.

In reply to above post, no the cd drives wern't being recognised in device manager. I tried setting the bios setting to PnP Aware OS so windows would take over from the bios at setup but no joy.

I even tried nulling the HD and booting from CD but to no avail. Ah well it remains a mystery and always will. :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
there is one 'quick' fix that works occassionally on disappearing drives CDGONE. you might try CDGONE before taking it to the base.