Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot any mode.

• Please log in to reply

nicecara

nicecara

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,
My daughter is having trouble with her laptop so I brought it home with me and thought I would tackle it with some help from you.

OS XP
Pentium4
HP

It will not boot in any mode...gets blue screen that says Unmountable_boot_volume.

She has not done anything different or added new hardware or software.

Any guidance would be soooo appreciated.

Thanks,
Cara

Edited by nicecara, 27 July 2005 - 09:53 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try this Microsoft Fix

Murray

nicecara

nicecara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Murray...thanks for the prompt reply!!

I checked it out and am to dumb to understand :tazz: How would I know which reason it is? How would I know if the computer uses an Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller or if we use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable? I don't know what this stuff is. Sorry so dumb!!!

Cara

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions is true:
• Your computer uses an Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller, and the following conditions are true:
      • You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
      • The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.

• The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
since it was working before, focus on the file system is damaged section that involves running chkdsk /r

nicecara

nicecara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Not sure what Recovery Console is... :tazz: Is the System Recovery CD the same thing as Recovery Console Window's start up cd? Again...sorry so dumb ;)

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, not the same...the system recovery cd will reset your PC to factory condition and wipe out all your data in the process usually.

GO here and download

rc.iso

this is a disk image and it needs to be burn to a cd a special way.

What cd-burning software do you use?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Hi Murray...thanks for the prompt reply!!

I checked it out and am to dumb to understand  :tazz: How would I know which reason it is? How would I know if the computer uses an Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller or if we use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable? I don't know what this stuff is. Sorry so dumb!!!

Cara

View Post

Go into Device Manager and take a look at the Controller in there.. Should tell you..

Murray

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso

Now, go to Alex Feinman 's website and download the Isorecorder power toy. Install it on a working machine and reboot. Place a blank cd in your cd-burner and then right click rc.iso, and choose burn to cd from the context menu.

You can use any cd burning program that supports ISO burning, but each is different and I cannot necessarily direct you on how each program works.

Place this cd in the non-working computer and reboot. You should boot to recovery console. If you do not, you need to set your cd-rom as the first boot device in your PCs BIOS.

When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair with recovery console option.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.

At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.

At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Go into Device Manager and take a look at the Controller in there..  Should tell you..

Murray

View Post

murray.....the machine won't boot (just pointing it out)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

murray.....the machine won't boot (just pointing it out)

View Post

Hang on while I bend over and you can give me another swift one!! :tazz:

Murray