Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC ANYWHERE & FIREWALL

• Please log in to reply

flamartine

flamartine

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Currently use zone alarm, free edition. My accountant is able to connect to my computer for the information that he needs. Since I installed the free version of Zone Alarm, he cannot get into my computer unless I stop Zone Alarm.
Is there a better free firewall to use with PC Anywhere?
OR
If you have advice concerning Zone Alarm, please advise.
Thanks Much!
flamartine :tazz:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
make sure that zone alarm has pc anywhere listed as a trusted application. also monitor zone alarm when he tries to connect. there should be a log entry for that event. probably just needs to be set to allow for that event.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

I am a fan of the free Sygate personal firewall. You can check it out at:
http://smb.sygate.co...pf_standard.htm

People also like the free Kerio firewall.

Cheers,
Tom

Currently use zone alarm, free edition. My accountant is able to connect to my computer for the information that he needs. Since I installed the free version of Zone Alarm, he cannot get into my computer unless I stop Zone Alarm.
Is there a better free firewall to use with PC Anywhere?
OR
If you have advice concerning Zone Alarm, please advise.
Thanks Much!
flamartine  :tazz:

View Post

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ZA used to have a doc describing step by step. I was unable to find this for you. Instead I can tell you that pcAnywher uses port 5631 TCP to communicate and 5632 UDP for status information. You only absolutely have to allow 5631 TCP for the AWHOST32.EXE (on a host) or AWREM32.EXE (on a remote). I'm not willing to install ZA to give you exact steps, sorry... :tazz:

I have a personal dislike for almost all software firewalls. They tend to wreak havok with TCPIP stack/winsock chain etc... Symantec Client Firewall or the builtin win XP and 2003 firewall is what I use if I have to use a software firewall.