Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program Icons

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I have several program icons on my desktop, the result of downloading off the internet, such as Yahoo Messenger, Internet Call Manager, Canon BJC 2100 driver, and CW Shredder. What is the process for removing them from desktop and placing them on my Startup Menu, as a technician has told me that I should keep my desktop as slim as possible as everytime I do something Windows has to refresh the Desktop, true or false?. If true what is the process to make these changes.

Advertisements

tht

tht

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
drag and drop from the desktop to the start menu button :tazz:

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I dragged and dropped and it did indeed end up on start menu, but the icon is still on the desktop, and if I attempt to delete it it warns me that it is a program and that I would not be able to use it again.

Please advise.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi waynf

It sounds like you have downloaded and saved to desktop some program files, normally if you just delete an icon it will give you a warning that this action will only delete the icon, if you want to uninstall the program you should use the Add\Remove programs in the control panel.

Play it safe, delete one file that gives you this warning and say Yes, try to run the program just after deleting, does it still run, if not go into your Recycling bin, choose the file and select Restore.

If you have installed the programs already, they should be in the start menu and it should be safe to delete the Installer. You could right click the file if it is an installer and choose cut, move into My Documents folder and create a file called Apps, go into the folder and right click again and select Paste. This will move the installers from your desktop.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thanks will try it.

Regards