Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac OSX 10.3.9 with a linksys router and cable mod

• Please log in to reply

lazrslong

lazrslong

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, the folks at linsys have been worthless in solving this, maybe you guys can help. Had a power outage today after a very close lighning strike. Now my airport base station is dead but worse still my emac doesnt get to the internet through the router anymore. I can plug it in directly to the modem but going through the router is no deal. So far Ive repowered everything in order (modem then router then mac) the router sees the mac, it sees the cable modem. It doesnt hook up the two. ive gone into network preferences and tried resetting things automatically to no avail. Ive tried setting it up manually using addresses provided by the router, addresses provided by the folks at linksys and going back to an oloder setting. The addresses at present arent available to me as Im now hooked up directly through the cable modem. What the heck is the proceedure for resetting all of that and what are those pesky addreses supposed to be? Help. please

Leo

Advertisements

arekdaset

arekdaset

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Have you contacted your service provider yet? Ask them to "bounce the link" to see if you get your addresses back. Sometimes after being disconnected from power to long will disconnect your link to your ISP. Hence the term "Bounce the link" to get you back into connection with your ISP. They will argue that it is not them that is the problem, but you have to be persistent and demand they bounce the link. I worked for a telecomm company and first things first we had to clear our house first. They will tell you that they see the link is up but what they might not know is the link is not real time. They can see the link is up but in actuality it is down. The only way to see that is if they "bounce it" -take it offline and put it back online.

Is your equipment connected to a power surge? If your router is not working you might want to try another router to see if that fixes the problem. Remember your using mac so everything has to be mac.

Post back.