Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP, RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS

• Please log in to reply

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
This is moved Window XP discussion..................
My computer is a Compaq Deskpro, running Window XP Professional.

Dec 7 I was on line, all of the sudden I got could not display page. I refreshed, did not work, did it again it worked. A few hours later samething, this went on for 2 days to the point that all I would get is page cannot be displayed. Email would not work either.

Now, I am trying desperately to get it fix, I work on line and took a long deserved break but now need income..lol

So can someone please help me. I have a highjack this log going over in malware.

Ok, back in Dec my ISP said I needed to reinstall XP. I have resently done a repair, and ran a ton of spyware stuff, that helped a little bit, I can maybe about 5% of the time get on line and when I do the pages are with errors and you cannot go to the next page. I did last week have the opportunity to surf for 20 minutes, but now no luck.

So since this really is looking like it is not a malware problem, anyone else have any idea????

I have even redone my connectiion see if it was that, but isn't.

Please Help I am pulling my hair out over this.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Susan, funny you should mention this....we were just talking about this very issue offline.

The problem at the moment is we have too many people working on the same problem and not all that has been done is totally clear.

The newdot malware DOES break your tcpip stack, so that is not surprising. The problem is repairing it after all that has been done.

Please let Michelle (that's banafanna...oh crap, I can never spell that) sort through what you've got posted and do not do anything else on this problem. We may need to drag Peter out of bed to determine how to iron this out, since going into the registry was NOT the way to do it, but we are not 100 percent certain what he did.....

So, sit tight, we will get this resolved....

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Back in June when Gerry was helping you, he showed you where to go to get a free version of XP from Microsoft. Were you able to accomplish that yet?