Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Covering my tracks...

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
So I have an old crappy laptop in my room that I have had for years. Anyway, I use it for mainly P2P... Last night my dad asked if I still used it, and if he could start taking it to work while his office PC is being replaced, which could take a few months. I have about 25 gigs of pure [bleep] on that HDD... :tazz:

So, even though I will be 18 in two months, I'd like to avoid a potentially embarassing situation.

It's running Windows 98, so I made a startup disk and formatted.... Will that take care of everything pretty much? Hopefully not having an OS will keep him from deciding to use it altogether...

In the meantime, I feel I must pay tribute to a HDD full of [bleep] accumulated over the years... I will miss you Jenna, Chasey, Tera, Krystal........

Edit: Apparently there is a language filter... replace bleeps with a 4 letter word begginning with "P" and ending with "N"

Edited by Metalive, 27 July 2005 - 10:52 PM.

Advertisements

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
haha, nice!!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lol, people with the vast stash ,similar problem is always happening at lans a friends with more of the good stuff than they need and not enough room for the games. We usually burn it onto a dvd and encrypt the file, or move it over in an encrpyted file over to our machines. Encryption is great saves embaresment for all and give the folder an innocent name and stick it in program files. And never put it as the first documnet in the HD saying [bleep] files or thers no point encrypting. lmao

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
is there any way in xp to put a password on a folder so u have to know it to access it? i dont mean like the crappy windows passwords you cn just click cancel and bypass!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
This is a family forum. Let's not turn this into a discussion of how to hide your p0rn, okay?

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok, i doubt any harm was meant my good man! your point is appreciated and understood however. is there a way to password protect folders containing sensitive information?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you're using NTFS you can set permissions down to the file level on the drive.....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Using win zip and most other compression software have an encryption feature can be a pain but it is a good way to do it. There are various other dedicated software to do it i got some with my mobo never used it i dont keep anything that needs hiding on my pc.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you can also get a helper monkey with a baseball bat to sit next to the computer all day

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
haha im not hiding anything!! its just my little sisters use the pc and id rather lock up my downloads folder on bearshare so they cant download any more of their boyzone cr@p!!!