Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network Cable Unplugged

• Please log in to reply

Aendiile

Aendiile

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I have tried everything I can possibly think of, so you guys here are my last resort. I am running windows xp home on a custom box. I turned on my pc a few days ago to find a message saying my network cable was unplugged when in reality nothing had changed and it is still plugged in. This all happened after a rather large virus took over, so i thought maybe i missed it, so i did a fresh wipe and install of xp, still no fix. I went and bought a new nic thinking maybe the onboard one was fried, and this does not fix my problem either.

I know the cables and router are all good, I can connect with my laptop using the same cables and setup, and have even tried with various combinations.

After researching I read some obscure post by somebody mentioning maybe a setting, but I can not find anything at all. I would appreciate any ideas or help someone could give me would be appreciated short of rebuilding a new pc.

Advertisements

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
have you done the network setup wizard? Or opened the network connections settings in the start menu and seen if the network is recognized as existing by XP?
looked in device manager to see if nic is working as expected? Tried the repair this connection function yet?
That's about all I can think of.
Good Luck

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
this make any difference?
START>RUN>CMD [enter]
netsh int ip reset report.log
[enter]
if not, post the report.log and/or the output from:
netsh int show interface
[enter]

Edited by bandedenculer, 28 July 2005 - 07:58 PM.