Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

making a custom search engine in vb.net

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
hi all,

i am addicted to many things, cigarettes, computers, etc. (tryign to quit the first addiction) however one of my biggest addictions is the aquisition of DVD's lately ive been looking for the best prices for certain dvd's, ive been checking the prices on line using the following sites
www.hmv.com.au
www.sanity.com.au
www.ezydvd.com.au
www.borders.com.au
and a few others,

as you can imagine this can be pretty time consuming so i figured id make a custom browser in vb that would search all of these for the same price, simultaneously so i can compare and get whats the most affordable

ive pretty much finished setting it up however i am having trouble with 1 aspect of the coding

to open the browser i use this code
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("D:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe", hmv)
(i defined hmv as a string for the hmv website)

what i would like to do is set it to using internet explorer as opposed to mozilla, my problem is to use explorer i have to type its exact location, which i cannot find

i am running win xp home edition and have tried searching for the target but come up with nothing,
can anyone help me with this?

cheers,
ben

Edited by BTPH, 28 July 2005 - 01:27 AM.

Advertisements

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
okay i found a solution, ive made a shortcut to internet explorer directly on my c:\ drive and linked the prog to dthe shortcut, however it still doesnt work properly, explorer opens but stays on the defalt home page

the code im using for this is
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\IE", hmv)
(hmv=www.hmv.com.au)
ive also tried putting the site in there instead of hmv but still doesnt work, whats strange is the exact same code works perfect with any other browser.

ne1 know wot i can do?

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
First of all try to add the http, and wouldn't you rather it opens in the users default browser??

I don't know Vb but in C++ there is a ShellExecute() function, if i wanted to open google.com with the users default browser i would use:
ShellExecute(NULL, "open","http://google.com", NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

Try and find the vb version of ShellExecute()...