Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with Shutdowns/crashes, etc

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
(Thought I would add to the begining of this that this topic was part of another that started to go off the point and got moved so it kind of starts in the middle and also we PM Each other a many times. I am trying to say to him that XP is not very stable and caused me lot of troble and he is saying that XP is stable an it is something else. I can't clame to be right).

I am trying to learn to write software....

And Maby I have been brainwashed but is is very easy when Microsoft keep wreaking my computer :tazz:

Edited by Michael Buckley, 28 July 2005 - 03:47 AM.

Advertisements

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Go buy a Windows XP update disk that has SP2 on it. And forget about the other updates. They are trivial.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Computer is six mounths old and has got service pack two....

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
What kind of problems are you having with Windows.. Or rather with your computer.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
To put it quickly everything from The help in the start menu frezzing the computer down to the computer not booting. I have got it up and runing and treading very carefully and have got nothing wrong right now, but it has offen been a few days of peace and then back to [bleep]. Hope you are willing to keep this up< I home scholled and an willing to check my inbox every five minutes between reading somthing for school

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
The most helpful piece of info that I can give for you is stop downloading trash programs. No really, I am not insulting you. I used to download and install every program I got my hands. Bad programs are bad for your computer.

Do you have a Full recovery disc for you computer??

If so, Just format your hard disc drive and do a complete format and reinstall. Also, if you don't want to format your drive, you can actually just do a full reinstall of Windows. This does actually work very well. But any programs you had installed will no longer be registered in the registry. Basically you will have to reinstlal all your programs again. Your data and programs will however remain in the same directories (ie, file structure won't be changed, just the registry and start menu reset basically). But this is the thing to do if you are having problems like what you describe

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have not got piles of Programs. Just the ones that I wan't to do what I wan't. And I might do what you say it it goes wrong again. I have a back up Made with Norton Ghoat that would help.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 26 July 2005 - 08:19 PM.

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Gimme a list of non-personal software that you have installed. including spyware blockers and things like this. I have found that using third-party spyblockers cause your computer to act funny.

I use Norton Antivirus and Peerguardian. Norton because it monitors every file that comes onto my computer and every file that is opened. Yeah, it can bog my computer down at times, but I NEVER have problems with VIRUSES. NEVER.

If you have other third-party spyware /virus programs other than this, UNINSTALL THENM. They do more harm than good in almost all cases.

Only use ONE Antivirus program. If you are going to use Microsoft's use Microsoft's. If you are gong to Use Norton's uyse Norton's. If you want to use AVG, use AVG. But don't use more than ONE..

I can't even stress to you how important this is and how much of a difference this makes. I learned very well on ME and 98 how to get my computer stable enough so that I wouldn't have to beatup my computer.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Here is the lists but as I said I am being carfull and have been alright for the last five days (formated two weeks ago now). I have uninstall a few "trash program" an am being carefull what I install. Hope to avoid any problems. Wish Winodow was better and had less erorrs in it (all software dose have hundreds of erorrs, with the execption of the software that runs spaceships). But thanks for your help, problems may come back but I plan to try to prevent tham, and if they do at least I know there is someone that will listen to me.

What I had when it started.

Office 97
Age of Empires
Norton Antivirus
Mirosoft Antisypware
Norton Ghost
1st PowerPoint Stuido
Plus what come with my computer and a D-linke wireless card (with the latest driver).

Three foramts and a lot of test with many progrms.

What I have now
Office 97
Age of Empires
Norton Antivirus
Mirosoft Antisypware
Norton Ghost
FireFox
ThunderBird
ZoneLab FireWall
Diskeeper
Tweak UI
Adware-Se
Spybot -S&D
SypwareBlaster
SpywareGuard
Google Earth
Tunup WinStyler
Plus what come with my computer and a D-linke wireless card (with the latest driver).

Hope this helps you deside what is could have been and if it will come back.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

If you have other third-party spyware /virus programs other than this, UNINSTALL THENM. They do more harm than good in almost all cases.

View Post

If you are talking about the programs that we advise our members to use, such as Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, etc and so on...then you could not be more wrong. Each of these programs alone and together will better protect your computer. What "harm" have any of them ever done? The list of protection that Michael lists is quite good, and nearly all of what we recommend to our users. We would NEVER recommend they install them if they could cause "harm".

Please be aware, also, that you are treading close to giving advice regarding Malware/Spyware/Viruses. That is not allowed on this forum unless you are a trained Staff Member. Non-Staffers are allowed to help with problems in the Operating Systems, hardware, etc. But Malware advice is limited only to Staff members.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I knew it would not be the programs though my wireless Card have been acused by Dell.

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
hmmm. I will come up with a technical sort of report and report it to staff..

My experience has been that when I have any spyware/virus catcher other than main one, it causes clashes. Not because the programs are bad, but they just clashed with my main program and caused problems..

Edited by in_texas_dallas, 28 July 2005 - 12:09 AM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have and AntiVirus and a Spyware program with all features inabled and the other programs I use for scaning and they do not start up when my computer dose.

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
yeah, KAT and me came to a consensus.. rather found common ground

It is good to have ONE antivirus program that is always memory resident.
The other 'spyware' blockers and programs of this nature, as long as they are not constantly memory resident, are useful tools to run regularly.

I had some friends who went way overboard, and I found it was fairly common for people to do that, and downloaded every spyware/adware buster'esque program they could find. So, I just wanted to make sure that you hadn't done something like that.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Good now we agree that it is not my programs will you say that the problems root cause was Winodws XP.