Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing SP2 for XP

• Please log in to reply

Newbie2

Newbie2

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a 2 year old lap top running XP. I have just converted the file system from FAT32 to NTFS using inbuilt convertion .exe file. System now VERY slow. Want to install SP2 but don't know how. Have access to SP2 CD. Can anyone give me an idiots guide to the installation please.

128 meg RAM. 40 gig HD. 8 gig free.

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
SP2 is very easy to install but you want to make sure you are have a Spyware and Virus free system before installing. FYI it is best to install SP2 off the CD since you have it available.

Edited by admin, 29 November 2005 - 10:55 PM.

Newbie2

Newbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you. I'll look at the links and let you know how I get on in a few days.

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
While you don't have to, i'd recommend starting anew. Put a fresh copy of XP on it, and then put sp2 immediately onto it. SP2 + Spyware = Blue Screen of Death.

-Matt

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Also, XP with only 128megs of ram is going to be slower than molasses in January.. You would be better served upping your RAM to 256megs minimum and 512megs preferably!!

Murray

Newbie2

Newbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks again everyone. Can't upgrade memory as it's a laptop and would be too expensive. The XP came with the machine, pre installed. I only have a repair cd. Again, too expensive to buy new OS. I think I'm going to have to get used to a slow machine.

Newbie2

Newbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Forgot to add that I run Norton Antivirus, Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware SE and Spybot. All updated weekly if updates available and machine scanned weekly.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I agree with Murray S, you need more memory, those apps use a lot. A friend had a laptop with 192mb of memory and a 288mb committment and his computer was a dog. More memory fixed that.

The only other thing I'll add is heed their advice and don''t run anything else during the installation of SP2.

Edited by Tyger, 28 July 2005 - 04:08 PM.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I think I'm going to have to get used to a slow machine.

The Guide will definitely help performance even if you don't get more memory but that is still highly recommended. :tazz:

Newbie2

Newbie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you everyone. I have now installed SP2. It was good to find someone to help me. Sorry for the delay in replying and thanking you. I don't know how to get straight to my topics on the site and it's taken me a while to find the correct place to send this reply.