Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEVER MIND - Excel Date Sort

• Please log in to reply

Meaux30

Meaux30

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Good morning - I could really use some help.
I need to sort a sheet by date and have it sort by year first and then by month and day. My goal is to delete everything before the current year. Just doing a sort lumps all of a month together, for instance: June will include 1999 - 2011 and then the list will move to July. I tried a custom date format but couldn't make that work. Any idea?

The problem was I hadn't imported the data correctly - It came from and ASCII file and instead of importing it as a date field I imported it as text and then formatted it to date. I didn't realize that could change the behavior.

Edited by Meaux30, 28 July 2005 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

dsm

dsm

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Meaux,
There may be a few ways to overcome your problem. It depends what the ascii text looks like.

Example 1.
assume your dates are in column A starting at row 2
assume column D is clear

In column D type the formula =datevalue(A2) to attempt to determine the date serial number
Copy the formula down
Format column D as some type of date (for display purposes only)
Sort by column D

Example 2.
If the year is always 4 characters and always at the end eg. 12-Mar-1999
In column D type the formula =right(A2,4) to determine the year only, sort by column D and just delete lines for the second last year.

If this does not work or only partially works zip up your file and attach it or at least key in some sample data.

Hope this helps
David